Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Converting gameroom to media room, need advice

I have a 17x14 game room with 10ft ceilings that I'm trying to convert
to a media room. It currently has a popcorn textured ceiling with
textured walls. I am going to paint the walls and ceiling. I've come
up with the following options.

1. Remove the popcorn from the ceiling and have a flat ceiling with
textured walls?
2. Remove the popcorn from the ceiling and flatten the walls so the
that the textures match? What would be the best way to remove the
texture from the walls?
3. Keep the popcorn, paint it with a sprayer and keep the textured
walls?

I'm trying to end up with a professional looking room and am looking
for some advice.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Look professional, or sound professional? You can have both, I suppose.
Leave the popcorn, as it helps to deaden reflected sound. Spray it.
Twice, maybe. Put tapestry all over the walls. Pull out all the games,
and stick in a big-screen with a big-old AM/FM/CD
surround-sound/DVD/turntable and an 8-track behind a mechanized sliding
secret panel. Okay, I'm kidding about the 8-track. The way it'll look
is up to your own aesthetics, so I couldn't presume to tell you how to
do that. But leather's nice. Tom
Steve wrote:
I have a 17x14 game room with 10ft ceilings that I'm trying to convert
to a media room. It currently has a popcorn textured ceiling with
textured walls. I am going to paint the walls and ceiling. I've come
up with the following options.

1. Remove the popcorn from the ceiling and have a flat ceiling with
textured walls?
2. Remove the popcorn from the ceiling and flatten the walls so the
that the textures match? What would be the best way to remove the
texture from the walls?
3. Keep the popcorn, paint it with a sprayer and keep the textured
walls?

I'm trying to end up with a professional looking room and am looking
for some advice.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do a search on home theatres there's a number of good webs sitesfullof
guy that only do that. What I remember reading they use 2 layers of
sheet rock and soundproofing.

Steve wrote:
I have a 17x14 game room with 10ft ceilings that I'm trying to convert
to a media room. It currently has a popcorn textured ceiling with
textured walls. I am going to paint the walls and ceiling. I've come
up with the following options.

1. Remove the popcorn from the ceiling and have a flat ceiling with
textured walls?
2. Remove the popcorn from the ceiling and flatten the walls so the
that the textures match? What would be the best way to remove the
texture from the walls?
3. Keep the popcorn, paint it with a sprayer and keep the textured
walls?

I'm trying to end up with a professional looking room and am looking
for some advice.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:

I have a 17x14 game room with 10ft ceilings that I'm trying to convert
to a media room. It currently has a popcorn textured ceiling with
textured walls. I am going to paint the walls and ceiling. I've come
up with the following options.

1. Remove the popcorn from the ceiling and have a flat ceiling with
textured walls?
2. Remove the popcorn from the ceiling and flatten the walls so the
that the textures match? What would be the best way to remove the
texture from the walls?
3. Keep the popcorn, paint it with a sprayer and keep the textured
walls?

I'm trying to end up with a professional looking room and am looking
for some advice.

If you're talking about a serious home theater, that means a front
projector, so your walls and ceiling will need to be non-reflective -
think dark gray.

So the textures would be a non-issue.

Go to:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=3

for lots of ideas.

Advice needed re fireplace and room heater shaz UK diy 3 December 30th 04 06:34 PM
Problem with room getting too hot from facing the south (even in late October) jeff Home Repair 11 November 2nd 04 08:18 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Are room thermostats out of fashion? stuart noble UK diy 143 December 24th 03 01:19 AM
OT=Sea Changes in the Media Gunner Metalworking 47 November 20th 03 01:27 PM