Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can porch steps be raised.

My ex-girlfriend has a porch with a set of 3 nicer than average cement
steps, I think 3 feet wide (maybe 4, I can check). The steps are most
likely hollow, right?

The porch is where it was, but the steps have sunk 4 to 6 inches.

Is there any way to lift the steps back to where they were? I think
the porch has a cement apron in front, as tall as the steps were.

I had in mind using 10 long 2x4's to lift the thing up, maybe oiling
the porch apron and the wall next to the steps with something, or
using a pry bar, so the steps would slide up along side the porch and
wall. Then when it is up there, filling the hole with cement, or
with big and small rocks (and gravel)and cement.

Do you think this would work, and since it is more work than I want to
put into an ex's house, do you think we can talk a contractor or a
handyman into doing it this way? I have a feeling most will want to
break up the old steps, cart them away, build forms and pour new
steps. These seems like it would cost much more money and her old
steps are nicer than average. Each step has a lip on 3 sides
overhanging the risers and the sides, that are attractive and give a
person more space to put his foot.

If the project fails, it will only sink a little at a time I think and
no one will get hurt. And it probably won't sink as low as it is now.
Now her mother has to go around back and enter the house a half-flight
down, then walk up another full flight, because she can't make it up
the step that is 4 or 6 inches higher than normal.

As to cement, I was helping someone years ago who had to erect some
thin poles, 20 feet by 2 or 3 inches (some of each), and he told me
that he used to mix up the cement and pour it in the hole to
stablilize the poles, but someone told him all he had to do was put in
the pole and hold it in place, pour the dry quickrete into the hole
and then pour in a bucket of water, and everything would harden up
well enough for his purposes. It's been 10 years since he did this
and everything is fine, so it must be true.

Does anyone else have experience with this fly-by-night technique,
and how big a volume do you think could be done this way?

Specifically, I'm wondering if this could be enough to hold the steps
above. This would mean we wouldn't have to have cement or concrete
delivered, and wouldn't have to mix it ourselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:50:55 -0400, mm
wrote:

[...]

Hydraulic water bags would be ideal but hard to find and expensive.

So the cheap way would be getting a hydraulic jack at walmart or
harbor freight and digging a trench so it will fit and start lifting
and proping and lifting and proping.
..

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

We reset the hollow ones often, just did one two days ago. Just flip the steps
forward. correct the footing (you could use gravel, we poured another
concrete footer), and flip 'em back. If they are solid, built in place steps,
it's a whole different game.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
My ex-girlfriend has a porch with a set of 3 nicer than average cement
steps, I think 3 feet wide (maybe 4, I can check). The steps are most
likely hollow, right?

The porch is where it was, but the steps have sunk 4 to 6 inches.

Is there any way to lift the steps back to where they were? I think
the porch has a cement apron in front, as tall as the steps were.

I had in mind using 10 long 2x4's to lift the thing up, maybe oiling
the porch apron and the wall next to the steps with something, or
using a pry bar, so the steps would slide up along side the porch and
wall. Then when it is up there, filling the hole with cement, or
with big and small rocks (and gravel)and cement.

Sounds like precast concrete steps which are Much lighter than
poured steps. Should have been installed with a concrete block
under each corner on packed Well Drained soil.

dig around the perimiter of the steps down to the bottom of the
steps, so when you start prying up one side you're not trying
to push immovable ground. On the sides, dig below the bottom
of the steps to allow setting a concrete paver which will hold
the fulcrum for your lever. Recommend heavy steel pipe for
fulcrum and lever. a 2x4 likely won't cut it.

pry the steps up a little at a time, shimming the corners. These
steps are not as heavy as they look

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DT" wrote in message
news:WZCdnSdBivs6HSTZnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
We reset the hollow ones often, just did one two days ago. Just flip the
steps
forward. correct the footing (you could use gravel, we poured another
concrete footer), and flip 'em back. If they are solid, built in place
steps,
it's a whole different game.

what do you estimate the weight on these, dennis? how many pounds
of lift at back top of steps to flip them forward? maybe a cable or
strap to a trailer hitch of a vehicle as 'muscle' ?

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:08:03 GMT, "lee houston"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the good advice you guys. I sent it all to my frined, and
kept a copy. It's really the only obvious problem with her house.

Beautifying concrete steps and porch Dave N Home Repair 7 January 18th 06 03:38 PM
replace wooden porch steps? [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 7th 05 11:04 PM
facings, topping for concrete porch Jim Beaver Home Repair 1 August 13th 05 11:31 PM
Porch support Charlie S. Home Repair 0 August 2nd 05 08:42 AM
Cement walk and steps - opinions wanted Jennifer Home Repair 0 March 28th 05 09:05 PM