Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can porch steps be raised.

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:08:03 GMT, "lee houston"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
My ex-girlfriend has a porch with a set of 3 nicer than average cement
steps, I think 3 feet wide (maybe 4, I can check). The steps are most
likely hollow, right?

The porch is where it was, but the steps have sunk 4 to 6 inches.

Is there any way to lift the steps back to where they were? I think
the porch has a cement apron in front, as tall as the steps were.

Sounds like precast concrete steps which are Much lighter than
poured steps. Should have been installed with a concrete block
under each corner on packed Well Drained soil.

dig around the perimiter of the steps down to the bottom of the
steps, so when you start prying up one side you're not trying
to push immovable ground. On the sides, dig below the bottom
of the steps to allow setting a concrete paver which will hold
the fulcrum for your lever. Recommend heavy steel pipe for
fulcrum and lever. a 2x4 likely won't cut it.

pry the steps up a little at a time, shimming the corners. These
steps are not as heavy as they look

Thanks for the good advice you guys. I sent it all to my frined, and
kept a copy. It's really the only obvious problem with her house.