Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Opinion ( electrical )

Our mobile home is in a park.

There's distribution post out back
with a meter and a 100amp ckt breaker.
It feeds the ckt breaker panel in our home.

A few weeks ago, the A/C was ON,
the electric dryer was running,
and the 100a ckt breaker tripped.

It happened again last week.

This is a new problem.
I figure the dryer pulls about 30a
the A/C shouldn't draw much more.
There's the usual "current sippers" around the house.....

Do I have a "tired" main ckt breaker
or
do A/C's pull more current when something $$$ is getting bad.....

???

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

Many homes these days have a 200 amp main service. Might want to call an
electrician and see what your best or least expensive option is. A possible
option is to install a 200 amp main panel "out back" with a 100 amp breaker
to your home and a new/separate breaker and line from there to your air
conditioner unit.

If there is only a 100 amp line to the panel out back, then this could get
to be quite expensive depending on the situation with who owns what in the
park.

The least expensive option is to not run the dryer when the air conditioning
is running. Like in the morning.

"RJ" wrote in message

Our mobile home is in a park.

There's distribution post out back
with a meter and a 100amp ckt breaker.
It feeds the ckt breaker panel in our home.

A few weeks ago, the A/C was ON,
the electric dryer was running,
and the 100a ckt breaker tripped.

It happened again last week.

This is a new problem.
I figure the dryer pulls about 30a
the A/C shouldn't draw much more.
There's the usual "current sippers" around the house.....

Do I have a "tired" main ckt breaker
or
do A/C's pull more current when something $$$ is getting bad.....

???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ" wrote in message

Do I have a "tired" main ckt breaker
or
do A/C's pull more current when something $$$ is getting bad.....

either possibility is fairly common.
switching out breaker quickly deals with the first one (if the breaker style
is still available)
ordinary ammeter will quickly determine the second.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bill allemann" wrote in message
news

"RJ" wrote in message

Do I have a "tired" main ckt breaker
or
do A/C's pull more current when something $$$ is getting bad.....

either possibility is fairly common.
switching out breaker quickly deals with the first one (if the breaker
style is still available)
ordinary ammeter will quickly determine the second.

Bill

I think you got a bad breaker. Something would be burning if you are really
drawing that much current. Its real common for breakers used like this to go
bad. I think it has to do with them being out in the weather.