Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative septic system information needed

My mother has a lakeshore home on Lake Mille Lacs near the town of
Isle, Minnesota. We are attempting to replace the twenty year old
septic system (a septic tank and holding tank requiring periodic
pumping) with some type of mound system. I have noticed several mound
systems in our neighborhood (they all look alike to me).

Our lot is small and Mille Lacs county is telling us the typical sand
mound system is a little too large to fit on the lot. I understand
there are alternative mound type systems that do not require as much
space as the typical sand mound system. On the Internet I have
encountered the terms "textile filter technology" describing a
smaller mound system and also "aerobic treatment" describing
another smaller system. If anyone has any experience with either of
these two types of septic systems, I would appreciate your analysis of
them.

Also, if anyone has encountered a similar situation as ours, I am
interested in the solution you found and the type of septic system you
used.

Approximate costs of these alternative septic systems are also
appreciated, if possible.

TIA, Terry