Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

KOS

Default Stanley Electric Garage System Problem- help needed

Hi, I have a Stanley Electric Garage Openener- Professional Series-
approximately 10 years old or more. The system has been working
flawlessly- however now I am not able to use the remotes and when I
press the wall mounted button the garage opens- but when I press to
close the light flashes and the door goes back up. THe only way to
close it is by holding the wall mounted button and pressing until door
closes. I read somewhere that this could be due to the safety sensor
system with the light beams- if this malfunctions the door wont operate
properly.

I have noticed that the lights on the 2 sensors near the ground are
out. I have tried moving the sensors to see if they are out of
alingnment- still no lights at all. I have another electric garage door
next door- here the lights are always on the sensor- do you think the
fact that the lights are out on the sensor that this is the culprit?
Anyway to test this out? If I check the wiring and see the wire from
the sensor is damaged, how do I replace? Must I replace the entire wire
or can I just do that certain area with a piece of electrical tape?
Also, what type of wire is used from the sensor to the opener? (so I'll
know which to buy) Any help is greatly appreciated.
KOS

KOS wrote:
[...]

Yes it sounds like the problem is related to the sensors. However the
problem could be the sensors, the wire, or the logic board in the motor
head.

Do you have a volt meter? If so check the wires at the photo-cells to
see if there is power (low DC) coming thru them. If no power at the
photo-cells check for voltage to the wires at the motor head. This will
determine if it's the logic board or the wire.

Is the opener next door the same brand? If so take the photo-cells from
the one that's not working to the one that is & see if they work there.

Since it's low voltage you can use phone line or thermostat wire. If
you think the wire is bad, hook a new temporary wire up & test before
you run it thru the attic or staple it to the ceiling.

Many of the Stanley parts are hard to find & I don't normally recommend
that you spend much money on fixing them. However, personally I never
liked them when they were new.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

Garage electric outlets not working Basha Home Repair 11 October 14th 04 05:05 AM
garage drainage problem Dave G Home Repair 1 February 29th 04 07:36 PM
Garage Door Opener Problem Terry Gwazdosky Home Ownership 5 November 1st 03 03:00 PM
Water system problem BigWallop UK diy 2 August 8th 03 11:12 AM
Electric Garage Door Not Closing Linda Boumarafi Home Repair 1 July 3rd 03 03:01 AM