Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Service to Oven and Cook Top

I currently have an electric oven and cook top. I am going to replace
the cook top with gas and Keep the Oven. Currently the breaker pannel
is set up to provide a total of 100 amps to both. It is rigged so that
there is one 40amp breaker and two 30 amp breakers tied together. I am
not sure if it is 120 or 240. What would make the most sense 120 or
240? It seems to me the oven should be 240. The cook top might go
either way. Is there an easy way to figure this out?

Question 2: I will need to move the oven. I am going to need to run
additional wire to get to the new location. Assuming it is 240 and
about 40 - 60 amps is it legal to run the old wire into a Junction box
and then splice the new wire into the old wire and continue the run out
of the junction box? Or, would it be better to terminate the old wire
at a small breaker panel and then continue the new run out of the
panel?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It's not likely that you have one 40 amp breaker. More likely a quad breaker
with a double pole 30 amp in the center and single 40 amp breakers above and
below the 30's which should have a handle tying them together. Both
appliances should be 240 volt. If the cable to the oven is 4 wire, there is
no reason you can't run it into an accessible junction box and extend it

oups.com...

Rayburn efficiency? Helen UK diy 260 January 25th 06 07:57 PM
Whirloop oven strange behavior of oven lights [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 May 12th 05 09:42 AM
Whirloop oven strange behavior of oven lights [email protected] UK diy 9 May 12th 05 09:42 AM
Samsung Microwave & GE Microwave oven Soyrunner Electronics Repair 5 March 15th 05 01:46 PM
Micrwave oven - M8A fuse? Mike Tomlinson Electronics Repair 7 August 29th 03 07:00 PM