Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 4th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 5
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.


  #2   Report Post  
Old July 4th 06, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 94
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

There is such a thing as a hard start capacitor, for cases where...you
guess it...it is hard to start. There are different types of start
mechanisms, can't say if a hard start would fit in your application,
but its worth a try. You should probably check for continuity between
the compressor contacts. And open winding would condemn your machine.

  #3   Report Post  
Old July 4th 06, 12:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 215
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

On 3 Jul 2006 16:44:00 -0700, "almosthandy"
wrote:

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.


My fridge was warranted for 5 years and went out last month with
exactly the same symptoms as yours at 5 1/2 years.

You have a device on your compressor called a start/overheat relay.
It is broken and needs replacing. I got one on Ebay for $22 including
shipping. I also bought a couple of generic start kits for $10 each.

The repairman will likely want about $500 to repair the fridge. You
can pick up a new side by side at Fry's for $600.




  #4   Report Post  
Old July 4th 06, 12:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 48
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.


almosthandy wrote:
I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.


Hi,

Model#?

compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens


Low voltage, bad start relay, bad compressor can cause the compressor
to try to start but shut off on the built in safety overload.

http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html#clicking

I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help


A run capacitor?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

  #5   Report Post  
Old July 5th 06, 04:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 820
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

Sounds like either a hard start kit will do it, or maybe the
compressor is beyond repair.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
..

"almosthandy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.




  #6   Report Post  
Old July 6th 06, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 5
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

I'm out of town and will not be able to check it until next week. Thank
you.
wrote:
There is such a thing as a hard start capacitor, for cases where...you
guess it...it is hard to start. There are different types of start
mechanisms, can't say if a hard start would fit in your application,
but its worth a try. You should probably check for continuity between
the compressor contacts. And open winding would condemn your machine.


  #7   Report Post  
Old July 6th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 5
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

JimL: is this right what the manual calls a controller which connects
to the compressor? the controller looks like black square which also
has the capacitor right on its top.
Thanks.
JimL wrote:
On 3 Jul 2006 16:44:00 -0700, "almosthandy"
wrote:

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.


My fridge was warranted for 5 years and went out last month with
exactly the same symptoms as yours at 5 1/2 years.

You have a device on your compressor called a start/overheat relay.
It is broken and needs replacing. I got one on Ebay for $22 including
shipping. I also bought a couple of generic start kits for $10 each.

The repairman will likely want about $500 to repair the fridge. You
can pick up a new side by side at Fry's for $600.


  #8   Report Post  
Old July 6th 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 5
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

Hi Chris: hard start kit keep coming up I guess I'll try that. Thank
you.
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sounds like either a hard start kit will do it, or maybe the
compressor is beyond repair.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

"almosthandy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.


  #9   Report Post  
Old July 6th 06, 04:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 215
Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.


Well, my kenmore/whirlpool book side by side used start overheat
relay combo.

"Refrigerator Compressor
2003 Sears Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator made by
Frigidaire(Model#25352642300): Not cooling at all, the compressor just
humms loud for about 10 seconds, then kicks off on the overload
switch. The compressor is locked-up.
Compressor kit with start ptc, run capacitor & drier
Part#5303918298
"

The above was what I thought was the problem. That is expensive.

Turns out that it was the overheat sensor broken which prevented the
start relay from operating. That is cheap.

Mine doesn't use a capacitor at all.






On 5 Jul 2006 16:53:30 -0700, "almosthandy"
wrote:

JimL: is this right what the manual calls a controller which connects
to the compressor? the controller looks like black square which also
has the capacitor right on its top.
Thanks.
JimL wrote:
On 3 Jul 2006 16:44:00 -0700, "almosthandy"
wrote:

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.


My fridge was warranted for 5 years and went out last month with
exactly the same symptoms as yours at 5 1/2 years.

You have a device on your compressor called a start/overheat relay.
It is broken and needs replacing. I got one on Ebay for $22 including
shipping. I also bought a couple of generic start kits for $10 each.

The repairman will likely want about $500 to repair the fridge. You
can pick up a new side by side at Fry's for $600.




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exterior of new Kenmore freezer is very hot MaryL Home Repair 13 August 28th 17 12:44 AM
Freezer Question Wayne Boatwright Home Repair 8 September 9th 05 03:19 AM
Ice on Fridge Freezer Floor SamL Home Repair 1 February 23rd 05 12:39 PM
Hotpoint fridge freezer - freezer failure [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 03 07:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017