Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid Appliance Repair Aid is offline

Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

almosthandy wrote:
I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Model#?

compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens

Low voltage, bad start relay, bad compressor can cause the compressor
to try to start but shut off on the built in safety overload.

http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html#clicking

I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help

A run capacitor?