Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bedroom Window Replacement

Hello,

Have a few wooden bedroom windows that are about 30 years old, have some rot
on them, and need to be replaced.

Have never looked at window replacements for many a year.
Would like to get some basic info. prior to calling in a contractor.

These are pretty typical wooden bedroom windows.

a. Do I want to consider Vinyl, which always seem to be advertised ?

What are the pros and cons of vinyl vs. wood ?
e.g., cost, quality, etc. ?

b. Can a few vinyl windows blend in "well" with the remaining house's
wooden windows ? Are they paintable, or do you just match the outside
vinyl's color to the trim used on the existing wooden windows ?

c. What is meant by "double hung" windows ?

d. Is it worth the extra cost for insulated glass, etc. ? These are not
massive windows; just the regular bedroom size

e. what else should I be thinking of, but aren't smart enough to know
enough to ask here, or to make sure to ask the contractor ?

f. I realize there are a zillion variables involved, but what (live outside
of Boston) are "typical" window prices ? And, as a total price, with
installation ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have a few wooden bedroom windows that are about 30 years old, have
some rot on them, and need to be replaced.

Have never looked at window replacements for many a year.
Would like to get some basic info. prior to calling in a contractor.

These are pretty typical wooden bedroom windows.

a. Do I want to consider Vinyl, which always seem to be advertised ?

They would not be my first choice. Really good ones (not likely the
ones you have seen advertised) are OK. The cheap ones you don't want.

What are the pros and cons of vinyl vs. wood ?
e.g., cost, quality, etc. ?

Personally I like vinyl clad (on the outside) wood. Good insulation,
low maintenance solid construction (if well made)

b. Can a few vinyl windows blend in "well" with the remaining house's
wooden windows ?

Depends on what you have and what they sell you. They can.

Are they paintable, or do you just match the outside
vinyl's color to the trim used on the existing wooden windows ?

While they are printable, I would look to get them in the color I want
to start with.

c. What is meant by "double hung" windows ?

Two windows sliding up and down.

d. Is it worth the extra cost for insulated glass, etc. ? These are
not massive windows; just the regular bedroom size

Size does not matter. With the cost of energy today and even more so
tomorrow, you want insulated glass. They are also more comfortable.

e. what else should I be thinking of, but aren't smart enough to know
enough to ask here, or to make sure to ask the contractor ?

In the end it is the quality of the windows and the quality of the
installation. If either is not done right you will be very unhappy.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit