Posted to alt.home.repair
yaofeng

Default Freezer section iced up

Why is the bottom of the freezer section in my side by side Maytag
refrigerator always iced up? Where does moisture go in? The seal is
good as far as I can tell. It is only three years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shirley ann

This happens to us too. I read in my manual book to dissolve baking soda
in hot water and use a eye a gravy baster to put it in the drain as it
was frozen shut.

My drain is in the bottom of the freezer way in back of the lowest
shelf. (Sears side by side freezer/refrigerator)

This happens to us everytime we lose electricity. The last time the
power was off for an hour. I had to throw away some of the ice as the
ice cubes melt together.

It took our freezer 24 hours before the ice maker worker normal again.

shirleyann

Posted to alt.home.repair

As a repair guy, may I reccomend Whirlpool? The ones I've seen have
been good. GE, the parts house guys call Generally Expensive.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Nobody You'd Know wrote in message
On 30 Jun 2006 22:52:16 -0700, "yaofeng"
wrote:

Why is the bottom of the freezer section in my side by side Maytag
refrigerator always iced up? Where does moisture go in? The seal is
good as far as I can tell. It is only three years old.

The water comes from the defrost mode of the fridge. The
fridge cycles to melt the water in the freezer coil and there is a
drain below it so it can go out to an evaporator pan under the fridge.

The drain tube is obviously either frozen over (happened to me
more than once with my Maytag side by side) or there's debris plugging
it.

You need to remove the bottom panel at the inside back of the
freezer side and check the drain. If it's frozen, a cup of hot tap
water will open it up.

I've lost all faith in Maytag appliances. I owned a Sears
Coldspot fridge for over 25 years without the need for the first
service call. I've had my Maytag for 6 and the service man has been
out here five different times. It would have been more, but I watched
over his shoulder; and now can do some of the simple stuff myself.

My Maytag clothes washer is almost, but not quite, as bad. No
more Maytags for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip. Indeed the drain outlet under the coils is all
iced up. I removed the chunk of ice and put things back. Just keep my
finger crossed for the next ice breaking activity.