Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 14-3 wire OK for fan/light fixtures?

Hello all!

Is 14-3 wire OK for wiring a ceiling fan/light fixture's 3-way
switches? My setup is going to be something like this:

http://www.the-home-improvement-web....ch-option4.htm

I have 12-2 running to the fixture, and was hoping to use 14-3 for
running to the switches. I figure 14 gauge can handle 15 amps and I
won't be needing more than a couple of amps to run the fan. Do I need
the 12-3, or can I use the 14-3?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

As long as you have it on a 15A circuit breaker, what you propose is just
fine.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all!

Is 14-3 wire OK for wiring a ceiling fan/light fixture's 3-way
switches? My setup is going to be something like this:

http://www.the-home-improvement-web....ch-option4.htm

I have 12-2 running to the fixture, and was hoping to use 14-3 for
running to the switches. I figure 14 gauge can handle 15 amps and I
won't be needing more than a couple of amps to run the fan. Do I need
the 12-3, or can I use the 14-3?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
Hello all!

Is 14-3 wire OK for wiring a ceiling fan/light fixture's 3-way
switches? My setup is going to be something like this:

http://www.the-home-improvement-web....ch-option4.htm

I have 12-2 running to the fixture, and was hoping to use 14-3 for
running to the switches. I figure 14 gauge can handle 15 amps and I
won't be needing more than a couple of amps to run the fan. Do I need
the 12-3, or can I use the 14-3?

Thanks!

The only problem is later someone may figure that since they see 12
gauge on the circuit that the whole circuit is 12 gauge and add a heater to
that fan/light. Also you did not note if the circuit was protected by a 20
amp or 15 amp breaker. Clearly you do not want 14 gauge on a 20 amp
circuit.

12-3 is not going to cost you much more and then you can add that heater
if you want it later. Do it right now and you will not need to do it over
later.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's on a 20A circuit. I'll go with the 12-3 like you all
recommend. Thanks for the tips!

Technique: wire preparation for a terminal block Zak Electronics Repair 12 March 21st 06 09:47 PM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
Am I grounded? Electrically speaking. Anthony Diodati Home Repair 39 January 4th 04 08:11 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM