Posted to alt.home.repair
scott

Default Chainsaw Recoil Spring Replacement

craftsman 358.350461 16 inch saw. The recoil rope wouldnt' return. I
pulled the cover and couldn't get it to budge. I tried to carefully
remove the winding cover and it sprung. Spring looks OK so I don't know
why it stuck. How do I rewind the spring and get it back in. Can I buy
a pre-wound spring assembly I can just drop in

Inner end has a round loop. Does that just fit in the slot in the hub?
Other end is just a bent "u" shape. There is a post I assume this goes
around.

Any suggestions or a good place to look on the net for a step by step
replacement of a recoinl spring?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

scott wrote:
craftsman 358.350461 16 inch saw. The recoil rope wouldnt' return. I
pulled the cover and couldn't get it to budge. I tried to carefully
remove the winding cover and it sprung. Spring looks OK so I don't know
why it stuck. How do I rewind the spring and get it back in. Can I buy
a pre-wound spring assembly I can just drop in

Inner end has a round loop. Does that just fit in the slot in the hub?
Other end is just a bent "u" shape. There is a post I assume this goes
around.

Any suggestions or a good place to look on the net for a step by step
replacement of a recoinl spring?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to go "lo-tech" the Reader's Digest or Better Homes and
Gardens Home or some other such ilk at your local library should have
stepXstep instructions, with photos.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

scott wrote:
craftsman 358.350461 16 inch saw. The recoil rope wouldnt' return. I
pulled the cover and couldn't get it to budge. I tried to carefully
remove the winding cover and it sprung. Spring looks OK so I don't know
why it stuck. How do I rewind the spring and get it back in. Can I buy
a pre-wound spring assembly I can just drop in

Inner end has a round loop. Does that just fit in the slot in the hub?
Other end is just a bent "u" shape. There is a post I assume this goes
around.

Any suggestions or a good place to look on the net for a step by step
replacement of a recoinl spring?

Thanks in advance!

Use Google with a phrase such as: repair starter rope ; and you'll get
lots of hits.