Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX

Default Filter before or after pressure tank?

I've read previous discussions on this, and am still confused. One
person stated that the filter housing could burst and drain the well or
burn up the pump if placed before the pressure tank, why wouldn't this
happen after the pressure tank as well. I can't see the pressure switch
making much difference if the pressure tank had an open 1" line running
full pipe. is there any sort of safety switch like a low pressure
switch upstream of the filter, or a wet floor switch that would shut
off the pump?

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read previous discussions on this, and am still confused. One
person stated that the filter housing could burst and drain the well or
burn up the pump if placed before the pressure tank, why wouldn't this
happen after the pressure tank as well. I can't see the pressure switch
making much difference if the pressure tank had an open 1" line running
full pipe. is there any sort of safety switch like a low pressure
switch upstream of the filter, or a wet floor switch that would shut
off the pump?

If the pressure switch is downstream of the filter,you can get very high
pressures on the upstream side of a clogged filter before the switch turns
off.
If the filter is after the switch you will only get the pressure the switch
is set at.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Eric in North TX wrote:
I've read previous discussions on this, and am still confused. One
person stated that the filter housing could burst and drain the well or
burn up the pump if placed before the pressure tank, why wouldn't this
happen after the pressure tank as well. I can't see the pressure switch
making much difference if the pressure tank had an open 1" line running
full pipe. is there any sort of safety switch like a low pressure
switch upstream of the filter, or a wet floor switch that would shut
off the pump?

Burst pressure of the filter housings for high flow rate filters exceed
well pressures. If the housing is OUTSIDE, exposed to sunlight, the
risk is that UV exposure will weaken the housing so much that normal
well pressures will then burst the housing. However, if the filter is
in a protected space, ie. in the same space with the pressure tank (many
times in the garage), it will last for decades, perhaps longer than the
house does

Most well pumps today are designed for near 100% duty cycle, so a new
well pump purchased today (if you examine the specs for the pump
carefully) will work in a line break situation until such time as you
notice and cut the pump off for repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX

digitalmaster wrote:

If the pressure switch is downstream of the filter,you can get very high
pressures on the upstream side of a clogged filter before the switch turns
off.
If the filter is after the switch you will only get the pressure the switch
is set at.

Ok I can see that, thank you. I'm also considering a Cycle Stop Valve,
any idea on sizing this?
A brief overview; 475' deep well, 5hp pump, heavy steel centrifugal
filter with automatic purge, between well and 2- 300 gal pressure
tanks, Davey booster pump on house circuit and hydrant circuit (used
for some pasture irrigation infrequently, tank pressure only to green
house and normal daily drip irrigation.