Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hard water in condo

I just moved into new condo in Chicago and was amazed at the hardness
of the water. I have lived in Chicago for 6 years now and this water
is terribly worse. Not sure why that is.

Regardless, I have found the calcium is quite high which I read is the
cause of hard water. Does anyone know of a good shower filter that
removes calcium?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just moved into new condo in Chicago and was amazed at the hardness
of the water. I have lived in Chicago for 6 years now and this water
is terribly worse. Not sure why that is.

Regardless, I have found the calcium is quite high which I read is the
cause of hard water. Does anyone know of a good shower filter that
removes calcium?

Filters don't work on calcium. You need a softener. Any reputable water
treatment company can help you with the right system for you. They will test
the water and make recommendations.

I don't know about Chicago, but in our town there are a couple of sources of
water. Depending on where you live, it is either very good or very nasty.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
I just moved into new condo in Chicago and was amazed at the
hardness of the water. I have lived in Chicago for 6 years now and
this water is terribly worse. Not sure why that is.

Regardless, I have found the calcium is quite high which I read is
the cause of hard water. Does anyone know of a good shower filter
that removes calcium?

You can't filter it, it is in solution.

So is there any solution at all?

Sure - standard water softener. They replace the calcium ions with sodium
ions from salt so you wind up with water with sodium carbonate.
_________________

This Chicago water is harder than my parents' water and they have a
well. Also, it's harder than other Chicago water I have had (wierd
but true).

Been a long time since I was around Chicago but I don't recall the water
being particularly hard. I find it strange that city water in your new
location differs from that in your previous one...one would think that all
city water is the same. When you say the water is "hard" what - precisely -
do you mean? What is it like?

If you have to get a softener it would be far preferable to get your condo
board of directors to install a central one so that all units receive the
softened water.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:25:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just moved into new condo in Chicago and was amazed at the hardness
of the water. I have lived in Chicago for 6 years now and this water
is terribly worse. Not sure why that is.

Regardless, I have found the calcium is quite high which I read is the
cause of hard water. Does anyone know of a good shower filter that
removes calcium?

Filters don't work on calcium. You need a softener. Any reputable water
treatment company can help you with the right system for you. They will test
the water and make recommendations.

I don't know about Chicago, but in our town there are a couple of sources of
water. Depending on where you live, it is either very good or very nasty.

Doesn't drinking in water in Chicago come from way out in Lake
Michigan? There are 2 or 3 pumping stations, maybe more by now, that
one can barely see from the shore. So the water does come from
different places, but they are all in the lake, and Chicago is about
30 or 40** miles from top to bottom. I wouldn't think that is enough
to make much difference in the water.

**I don't know where suburbs get their water.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mm" wrote in message
Doesn't drinking in water in Chicago come from way out in Lake
Michigan? There are 2 or 3 pumping stations, maybe more by now, that
one can barely see from the shore. So the water does come from
different places, but they are all in the lake, and Chicago is about
30 or 40** miles from top to bottom. I wouldn't think that is enough
to make much difference in the water.

**I don't know where suburbs get their water.

I know at least some comes from Lake Michigan. In my small town, we have
two sources, wells and a lake with lots of green stuff in it In the heat of
summer, it is like taking a shower in an aquarium. . Where I work, we have
three sources just in our building, and quite different analysis. One is a
very good well, the other is a crappy well, the third is from some other
city location. (yes, it is a very large and old building)

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
[...]

So sounds like I have to push for a water softener for building.
Water hardness is much harder in this condo than a couple apts I used
to live in 1 mile north. Very weird. Did a water analysis and calcuim
was high and from what I read calcuim is the cause of hardness.

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hard water = water that make it difficult to move hand on arm while in
shower while wet. It also dries out skin.