Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lynch

Default Plastic plumbing

I bought the doublewide next door to rent out. I want to move the water
heater to the basement so I'll have more closet space upstairs. The piping
is all flexible plastic, with steel bands keeping the connections together.
These are crimped with a special too. I've never dealt with this kind of
plumbing. I'd realy appreciate any help.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"John Lynch" wrote in message
I bought the doublewide next door to rent out. I want to move the water
heater to the basement so I'll have more closet space upstairs. The piping
is all flexible plastic, with steel bands keeping the connections together.
These are crimped with a special too. I've never dealt with this kind of
plumbing. I'd realy appreciate any help.

A doublewide with a basement and an upstairs? that's high cotton g.
Those crimp on connections are famous for leaking- use a screw type
hose clamp instead. Also locate a mobile home supply house.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"John Lynch" wrote in message
I bought the doublewide next door to rent out. I want to move the water
heater to the basement so I'll have more closet space upstairs. The piping
is all flexible plastic, with steel bands keeping the connections together.
These are crimped with a special too. I've never dealt with this kind of
plumbing. I'd realy appreciate any help.

Sounds like PEX tubing. You need a special tool for that. Do a Google
search for lots of information.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al

If it's poly butylene(spelling?) good luck! I have that in a rental MH at
least once every year it springs a leak! If it's Pex(spelling again?) pipe
that seems like OK stuff. I rented a crimper but hose clamps work well too.
"John Lynch" wrote in message
I bought the doublewide next door to rent out. I want to move the water
heater to the basement so I'll have more closet space upstairs. The piping
is all flexible plastic, with steel bands keeping the connections together.
These are crimped with a special too. I've never dealt with this kind of
plumbing. I'd realy appreciate any help.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

I bought the doublewide next door to rent out.

Sounds like PEX tubing.

I've never seen a mobile home with PEX in it (unless they re using it in the
NEW ones)
I have seen polybutylene (PB) grey and CPVC cream colored. Since its
crimped, I'm guessing PB.

If I was 'adding' to a PB system, I'd go with PEX ( red, blue or cloudy
'milk jug' colored plastic)
Cut in a "T" to the existing line and away you go. You can rent the
crimping tool and get all the PEX and fittings at Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

"John Lynch" wrote in message
I bought the doublewide next door to rent out. I want to move the water
heater to the basement so I'll have more closet space upstairs. The piping
is all flexible plastic, with steel bands keeping the connections together.
These are crimped with a special too. I've never dealt with this kind of
plumbing. I'd realy appreciate any help.

John

I don't believe hose clamps are approved for PEX.
You need to use the bands or the special
connections made for PEX. PEX is becoming more
and more popular and I believe that some of the
earlier leakage problems with plastic plumbing
were with specific connectors that have been
discontinued.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al

"Rudy" wrote in message

I bought the doublewide next door to rent out.

Sounds like PEX tubing.

I've never seen a mobile home with PEX in it (unless they re using it in
the NEW ones)
I have seen polybutylene (PB) grey and CPVC cream colored. Since its
crimped, I'm guessing PB.

If I was 'adding' to a PB system, I'd go with PEX ( red, blue or cloudy
'milk jug' colored plastic)
Cut in a "T" to the existing line and away you go. You can rent the
crimping tool and get all the PEX and fittings at Home Depot.

All my leaks in the Gray PB started went we switched to city water from a
well. A plumber friend said the PB would eventually leak from the chlorine.
There have been class action law suits against the mfg's. of PB for that
reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since the beginning of time, or at least ever since running water was
introduced into homes we have used metallic pipes which lasted many
many years without problems. In the beginning of the 21st century
(when technology should be superior), crooks wanting to make a fortune
selling "snake oil" plastics have decided that plastic is to be used
for water pipes. Now we can all experience yearly flooding and home
damage and let the insurance companies raise our rates. My educated
opinion tells me to use metallic pipe, or do not have indoor plumbing.
Plastics should be left to the garden hose that lays on the lawn and
springs a leak on a yearly basis, which will make the lawn happy and
not raise insurance rates for anyone.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:40:20 GMT, "Al"
wrote:

If it's poly butylene(spelling?) good luck! I have that in a rental MH at
least once every year it springs a leak! If it's Pex(spelling again?) pipe
that seems like OK stuff. I rented a crimper but hose clamps work well too.
"John Lynch" wrote in message
. ..
I bought the doublewide next door to rent out. I want to move the water
heater to the basement so I'll have more closet space upstairs. The piping
is all flexible plastic, with steel bands keeping the connections together.
These are crimped with a special too. I've never dealt with this kind of
plumbing. I'd realy appreciate any help.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Rudy" wrote in message

I bought the doublewide next door to rent out.

Sounds like PEX tubing.

I've never seen a mobile home with PEX in it (unless they re using it in
the NEW ones)
I have seen polybutylene (PB) grey and CPVC cream colored. Since its
crimped, I'm guessing PB.

If I was 'adding' to a PB system, I'd go with PEX ( red, blue or cloudy
'milk jug' colored plastic)
Cut in a "T" to the existing line and away you go. You can rent the
crimping tool and get all the PEX and fittings at Home Depot.

That is all the home depots in areas where PEX is allowed by code. You
won't find any in most northern CA stores (not sure about outside SF bay
area) though you will find fittings for standard tubing sizes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lynch

Thanks for all the advice. What does PB stand for anyway?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

"John Lynch" wrote in message
Thanks for all the advice. What does PB stand for anyway?

Peanut Butter...

Unless you were talking about something other than sandwiches - I have no
way of knowing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
boden

Possibly Pb, the symbol for lead. Used extensively in plumbing in years
past.

Boden

John Lynch wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. What does PB stand for anyway?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"John Lynch" wrote in message
Thanks for all the advice. What does PB stand for anyway?

look he http://www.polybutylene.com/poly.html

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

John Lynch wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. What does PB stand for anyway?

John

Polybutylene (P -oly B -utylene)

Don't confuse this with PEX which is a very good material.