Posted to alt.home.repair
SD

Default central air conditioner - fan shuts down

When I turn on my central AC, the furnace fan starts up and runs for a
second or two then shuts down. The diagnostic led on the controller
indicates Normal - no heat call.

The outside compressor unit continues to run, without the furnace fan
blowing.

I turned on the heat, and it works ok.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks,
SD.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

SD wrote:

When I turn on my central AC, the furnace fan starts up and runs for a
second or two then shuts down. The diagnostic led on the controller
indicates Normal - no heat call.

The outside compressor unit continues to run, without the furnace fan
blowing.

I turned on the heat, and it works ok.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks,
SD.

My guess would be a bad starting capacitor on the motor. How old is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

CJT wrote:
SD wrote:

My guess would be a bad starting capacitor on the motor. How old is it?

If the motor works fine for heating, its not the cap.

If you have a switch for the fan on your T-stat, set it to "on" and see
if the motor comes on. Then adjust the T-stat so the A/C comes on,
leaving the fan switch on. If the fan continues to run, there may be a
problem with the wiring of the T-stat which prevents the fan from
coming on in the "auto" setting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Mikepier wrote:
CJT wrote:

SD wrote:

My guess would be a bad starting capacitor on the motor. How old is it?

If the motor works fine for heating, its not the cap.

.... except that the two run at different speeds.

If you have a switch for the fan on your T-stat, set it to "on" and see
if the motor comes on. Then adjust the T-stat so the A/C comes on,
leaving the fan switch on. If the fan continues to run, there may be a
problem with the wiring of the T-stat which prevents the fan from
coming on in the "auto" setting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

"CJT" wrote in message
SD wrote:

When I turn on my central AC, the furnace fan starts up and runs for a
second or two then shuts down. The diagnostic led on the controller
indicates Normal - no heat call.

The outside compressor unit continues to run, without the furnace fan
blowing.

I turned on the heat, and it works ok.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks,
SD.

My guess would be a bad starting capacitor on the motor. How old is it?

MOST direct drive blower motors don't have a start cap, only a run cap.
Split phase motors don't have a run cap at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

SD wrote:

When I turn on my central AC, the furnace fan starts up and runs for a
second or two then shuts down. The diagnostic led on the controller
indicates Normal - no heat call.

The outside compressor unit continues to run, without the furnace fan
blowing.

I turned on the heat, and it works ok.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to troubleshoot this further?
Thanks, SD.

Fan relay could be bad, if it uses one. Call an A/C company.
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
SD

udarrell wrote:
SD wrote:

When I turn on my central AC, the furnace fan starts up and runs for a
second or two then shuts down. The diagnostic led on the controller
indicates Normal - no heat call.

The outside compressor unit continues to run, without the furnace fan
blowing.

I turned on the heat, and it works ok.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to troubleshoot this further?
Thanks, SD.

Fan relay could be bad, if it uses one. Call an A/C company.
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html
http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-s...ubcooling.html

The fan will run if the thermostat switches a Fan-On+Cool/Heat -
Off, Fan-Auto, Cool/Heat-Heat. As soon as I switch the Cool/Heat to
Cool, no matter what the Fan setting is at, the Fan shuts down. If I
turn the cool/heat Off, and have Fan-On, the fan won't come on until I
switch the Cool/Heat to heat. I took the thermostat out of the picture.
If I hook Red-Green - Fan comes on, If I hook Yellow-Green - Compressor
comes on. As soon as I add Yellow to Red+Green the fan shuts off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SD

SD wrote:
udarrell wrote:
SD wrote:

[...]

My final troubleshooting attempt...I moved the blower fan motor wires
around to try and
use a different fan speed for the cooling function. No help..it behaves
the same on all speed positions. I'm thinking that its the circuit
controller.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

The other possibility is that the wiring on the circuit board is wrong.
Check there.