Posted to alt.home.repair
George

Default small engine: use "premium" gas?

I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You dont need the expensive stuff, read the manual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i would err on the premium side,
and pay the extra $0.28

that's what i put in my lawnmower,
whether it needs it or not --
and i've got the fastest mower on the block

waterboy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"George" wrote in message

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I think it is BS. Cleaner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the motor a 4 cycle or 2 cycle????

Thinking about it, I would just use the 87 stuff and be
happy with it. Normally a higher octain fuel is used in
higher compression motors. The little engines are
normally for from that.

Tom

George wrote:
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George

Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

George wrote:
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George

sales guy has no clue. high octane is only needed for high compression
and advanced timing, something no trimmer has. Also, my experience with
sports cars that I put away in the winter is that high test evaporates
more quickly, so I always put a half tank of regular in in the fall, and
they fire right up in the spring. WOuld seem a nuisance to do such in a
lawn implement
Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Directly from the horse's mouth:

See item 13, in particular:
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...rgas/8_q-a/#22

Only very high performance cars benefit from "premium", otherwise it is a
waste of money. Certainly a waste of money for anything that uses gasoline
around the house.

You may also find the item of interest that refers to how long you can keep
gasoline.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"George" wrote in message
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Here is the definitions of Octane rating

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed
before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than
because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine.
Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have
happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle
the least amount of compression before igniting.

Premium gas has small amounts of ethanol to help clean deposits as well a
absorb water in the tank. It isn't CLEANER gas by no stretch of the
imagination - it's all clean. It might burn cleaner, but this isn't a car,
its a trimmer that doesn't have a catalytic converter nor a complicated
exhaust system.

"George" wrote in message
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George

Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson

wrote in message
oups.com...
i would err on the premium side,
and pay the extra $0.28

that's what i put in my lawnmower,
whether it needs it or not --
and i've got the fastest mower on the block

waterboy

FWIW - My Husky chain saw manual specifically states not to use premium as
it tends
to make the engine run hotter....

your mileage may vary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George

Many Stihl chain saws require premium gas for the higher compression to
get the needed power. Sounds like the salesman was applying this to
all Stihl products, which isn't true.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Eigenvector :
Premium gas has small amounts of ethanol to help clean deposits as well a
absorb water in the tank. It isn't CLEANER gas by no stretch of the
imagination - it's all clean. It might burn cleaner, but this isn't a car,
its a trimmer that doesn't have a catalytic converter nor a complicated
exhaust system.

And probably dumping partially burned 2-stroke engine oil out the muffler.

Ordinary ethanol blend fuels have the same octane ratings as regular,
and usually cost about the same. The ethanol they have is a lot more
than "a small amount" (I think they can be up to 15%).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Chris Lewis wrote:

According to Eigenvector :
Premium gas has small amounts of ethanol to help clean deposits as well a
absorb water in the tank. It isn't CLEANER gas by no stretch of the
imagination - it's all clean. It might burn cleaner, but this isn't a
car, its a trimmer that doesn't have a catalytic converter nor a
complicated exhaust system.

And probably dumping partially burned 2-stroke engine oil out the muffler.

Ordinary ethanol blend fuels have the same octane ratings as regular,
and usually cost about the same. The ethanol they have is a lot more
than "a small amount" (I think they can be up to 15%).

There was a time when "premium" gas had a different detergent package than
"regular" or "economy". That may still be the case, but with electronic
fuel injection the norm these days it all has enough to keep the injectors
clean, which is more than any carbureted engine is going to need.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

George wrote:
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the
net that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen
anything about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

The sales guy was trying to do you a favor, but he has bought the
advertising from the oil companies. Regular is just as clean as premium.
Filtering will do absolutely nothing to prevent gumming up a carburetor.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Here is the definitions of Octane rating

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be
compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by
compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it
causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not
something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular"
87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before
igniting.

Let me expand on that just a bit. Higher octane gas is harder to ignite.
Like he said above. That also means that a gas engine running higher octane
is harder to start. I picked up this slant on it reading a Ford Service
Manual. "If the customer complains of hard starting, be sure that they are
running 87 octane as specified and not premium."

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I think it is BS. Cleaner?

It is BS. Premium gas is regular gas with Octane added. Nothing is
removed. Gas is as clean as the tank and pump filters at the station you
bought it.

There is no high compression in a 2 stroke engine that causes engine
knocking (pre ignition) that you would need higher octane to prevent.

If you wanted a gas with a detergent in it, go to the parts store and buy a
bottle of additive and add a tablespoon or so to your gascan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:15:44 GMT, George
wrote:

I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George

On a well-tuned small engine regular gasoline works fine. I buy the
premium blends for all my lawn equipment, not because this was
recommended, but I have noticed a difference in the sound and usage of
gasoline. I can mow my entire lawn (half an acre) on one tank of
premium gasoline, but on lower octane blends I usually have to fill up
the tank again. I'm convinced the higher octane is better. You may
want to experiment a little bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

I'm not an expert in this, but I assume Stihl engineers are. I own
timberland and have a variety of Stihl and Husky power tools, ranging
from the small "home trimmers" to professional brushcutters, chainsaws
and pole pruners.

Stihl states quite clearly in their owner manuals that 89 octane or
above is to be used, at least with all the equipment I have. You can
read the manuals online at http://www.stihlmanuals.w1.com

They state specifically that lower octane ratings may cause higher
temperatures in the engine and increase risk of piston seizures.

Considering that when I do run my equipment, I often run it for five
hours or so, I would rather keep it cooler, so I spend the extra dime a
gallon and get premium for my equipment.

So, run the higher octane fuel (89 or above) if you trust Stihl. If
not, well...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

wrote in message
oups.com...

George wrote:
[...]

You are absolutely correct, you should ALWAYS go by the owner's manual -
never what a salesman in the store says. As to what we say online,
newsgroups are an excellent resource for information that you might
otherwise not know, but always start with the owner's manual.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Eigenvector wrote:

You are absolutely correct, you should ALWAYS go by the owner's
manual - never what a salesman in the store says. As to what we say
online, newsgroups are an excellent resource for information that you
might otherwise not know, but always start with the owner's manual.

But WHY should you always follow the owner's manual (or at least CLAIM you
followed the manual)?

a) You may void your warranty if you don't follow the instructions and
limitations therein.
b) You have an unassailable position when the device - used according to
detailed directions - maims you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

George wrote:
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George

Echo recommends 89 octane gasoline, so I usually use mid-grade gas when
I mix a can of 2-cycle fuel.

I've found that if I buy a gallon or two of premium in the spring for my
4-cycle small engines (lawnmower and tiller) they start and run much
better for that first startup. (they usually have a little bit of stale
gas in the tank leftover from the previous year.) By the time I use up
that first can of gas, I switch to regular and they run just fine on 87
octane. All grades of gasoline are 10% ethanol here.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

George wrote:
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the net
that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen anything
about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

I was a little surprised at this, but there's a lot I don't know. I
don't see where he had any reason to lie - I was already buying the
thing.

Does anyone know whether there's any truth to this?

Thanks,
George

I presume your string trimmer is 2 cycle. Gas and
oil are mixed. What do you think adding oil to
gas does to the octane? What do you think a
slight miscalculation in mixing the oil and gas
will do to octane?

You are right to be surprised. It is amazing how
much BS some people spew. "Cleaner, filtered
more, and lower octane gumming" are all nonsense
that an uneducated person would say.

What you need to read is not on the net but in the
manufacturers handbook. Almost all small engines
2cycle or 4 cycle use regular gas. Most
automobiles use regular gas.