Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default small engine: use "premium" gas?

George wrote:
I just bought a Stihl string trimmer, at a dealer. I'd read on the
net that Stihl engines require at least 89-octane, but hadn't seen
anything about that in the literature. So, I asked.

The sales guy said that they didn't _need_ high octane, but you should
_use_ "premium" gas ("93"), because it's "cleaner", that it's filtered
more, and that "cheaper" gas would gum up the carb.

The sales guy was trying to do you a favor, but he has bought the
advertising from the oil companies. Regular is just as clean as premium.
Filtering will do absolutely nothing to prevent gumming up a carburetor.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit