Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default Wind force

Can someone tell me how to compute the force for a given wind velocity
against a solid object per square foot in pounds? For example, 40 mph wind,
object 10 square ft...weight per square foot = ? pounds to keep object from
being moved by wind.

--

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

dadiOH wrote:

Can someone tell me how to compute the force for a given wind velocity
against a solid object per square foot in pounds? For example, 40 mph
wind, object 10 square ft...weight per square foot = ? pounds to keep
object from being moved by wind.

You might find http://timber.ce.wsu.edu/Supplements/WindDesign/PAGE1.asp
to be of interest.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

Can someone tell me how to compute the force for a given wind velocity
against a solid object per square foot in pounds?

P = 0.00256V^2 psf, eg 4 psf for V = 40 mph.

For example, 40 mph wind, object 10 square ft...weight per square foot = ?
pounds to keep object from being moved by wind.

With 10 ft^2 facing the wind, the sliding force would be 40 pounds.
So if the coefficient of friction with the surface below were 1,
it would need to weigh at least 40 pounds to avoid sliding.

If it were (say) 6' tall and symmetrical, the overturning moment would be
40x6/2 = 120 foot-pounds. If it were 4' long in the wind direction and
the 6' projection were in the middle, the resisting moment arm would be
4/2 = 2'. If it weighed P pounds, 120 = 2P would make P = 60 pounds min.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

dadiOH wrote:

Thanks, both...I now have the info I needed.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...