Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow plowing questions (truck snowplow)

I am contemplating purchase of a nice snowplow (truck attachment). I
am in SE Wisconsin. I have a few questions

- Can I plow with a 4WD Dodge RAM 1500?
- Can I plow with a 2WD Dodge RAM 350?
- How much could I make on a snowy day? Can I expect to make money by
driving around and offering my services to merchants etc?

thanks

Aaron!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I am contemplating purchase of a nice snowplow (truck attachment). I
am in SE Wisconsin. I have a few questions

- Can I plow with a 4WD Dodge RAM 1500?

Yes

- Can I plow with a 2WD Dodge RAM 350?

Yes, but not as easily as a 4wd in the deep stuffor steep hills Serious
plow ruck drivers will call you a sissy.

- How much could I make on a snowy day? Can I expect to make money by
driving around and offering my services to merchants etc?

Most merchants have a contract or agreement well before the first flake
falls. If Bob . Bill or Sven, has been reliable for the past ten years, he
is not likely to change. Homeowners vary a bit more. Some have agreements
also, others don't but in really deep stuff will be happy to pay for a plow.
It can take a few years to get known and get a following.

Pricing is usually based on depth. Some will not plow unless there is two
inches. then they charge a flat fee up to 6", then additional for 6 to 12,
etc. You have to know what to do with the snow so it does not block the
street, or pile up on the new hedges, etc. You want to carry insurance to.
Scrape off the fill of an in ground oil tank you have problems.

If you know someone in the business, you can offer your services if extra
help is needed and work as a subcontractor.

If you buy the plow for personal use, you may be able to make a few bucks,
but don't count on it for a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Businesses will almost always have arrangements made before the season
even starts for snow removal. If you want to do it occasionally by
drive by, then you will be pretty much limited to homes. Many of
those have arrangements already set up too, but you can find some who
do not, by driving by.

Also, make sure you have insurance. If you're plowing a driveway your
are not familiar with, it's not marked, etc, it's very easy to whack
into something and it could get expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

Yes and yes.

about $80 an hour here in the KC area. Make sure you have a couple million
dollars of liability insurance.

--
Steve Barker