Posted to alt.home.repair
Doobielicious

Default basement walls wood rot - Advice needed

Hi All,

I am renovatging my basement and need advice. I have everything gutted, but
the bottom of the studded wallk are rotted in some spots. This is just on
the bottom of the floor. There was once moisture so this was the cause of
the rot. The basement is now dry (well as dry as a basement will be). I am
puttin in a new subfloor which will go up against teh framing of the wallk.
The floor will be this dry-locjk stuff that has a plastic bottom so no
miisture will damage the floor. I am wondering if these studded walls need
to be replaced or at least the bottom of the frame The walls are now
sitting on concrete. Shoudl i replace or leave them? Will the rot spread?

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Doobielicious wrote:
Hi All,

I am renovatging my basement and need advice. I have everything gutted, but
the bottom of the studded wallk are rotted in some spots. This is just on
the bottom of the floor. There was once moisture so this was the cause of
the rot. The basement is now dry (well as dry as a basement will be). I am
puttin in a new subfloor which will go up against teh framing of the wallk.
The floor will be this dry-locjk stuff that has a plastic bottom so no
miisture will damage the floor. I am wondering if these studded walls need
to be replaced or at least the bottom of the frame The walls are now
sitting on concrete. Shoudl i replace or leave them? Will the rot spread?

I'm not sure I'm completely understanding your situation.........a

are the studs rotted? is the sill rotted?

Extent of damage?

A few studs / a few feet of sill?
Many studs / many feet of sill?

If there is extensive damage, what is holding up whatever sits on the
wall?

Are putting in a raised sub floor framed into the wall studs?

I would replace, repair or ignore depending on the extent of damage.

If the wood remains below ~20%. dry rot will not grow. The wood in
most homes is well below this limit as long as no plumbing leaks, rain
or outside water intrusion & no moisture problems from slab or
crawlspace.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think the OP wants to know if they should replace entire studs or
just the bottom part. I'd say that depends upon how easy it is to do
either one and the etent of the damage and locatin of the stud. We
really can't tell without pictures, and even if we had them, it might
not be obvious since we don't know how much damage is inside the wood
that we can't see (since it's often more damaged in the interior. If i
had to say anything it would be to condier replacing with metal ones
if you do a whole stud since that way if you ever get water in the
basement again you won't have to worry about rot. In my basement I put
three coats of oil based polyeurethane on any new pieces I put in where
I replaced rotted wood.