Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI not working

I'm no expert, but I've done some basic electrical and I'm having
problems with a GFI in my bathroom. The GFI I had went dead (reset
didn't work, no power). I assumed the GFI was bad so I replaced it,
twice!

In all cases it still doesn't work. Hitting 'Reset' doesn't work. I
tested the wires and the black wire is indeed hot. When I plug in a
Circuit reader (with a GFI tester on it) no lights come on (this is the
model with 2 yellow and one red light). However, when I use a voltage
detector I get a hot reading when I test either side of the outlet.

The outlet has worked for the past 2 years just fine and then this
problem suddenly occured.

Any help would be appreciated.