Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The GROWLER

My ceiling fan has started to growl at low/medium speed.
It's not on a dimmer.
It's not a mechanical ( bearing ) noise.
I replaced the "run" capacitor with a similar cap from Home Despot.

???

Not much left to replace.

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"RJ" wrote in message
My ceiling fan has started to growl at low/medium speed.
It's not on a dimmer.
It's not a mechanical ( bearing ) noise.
I replaced the "run" capacitor with a similar cap from Home Despot.

Hey you call it the "Despot" too! Right on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

RJ wrote:

My ceiling fan has started to growl at low/medium speed.
It's not on a dimmer.
It's not a mechanical ( bearing ) noise.
I replaced the "run" capacitor with a similar cap from Home Despot.

???

Not much left to replace.

rj

That has all the earmarks of a loose fastener somewhere in the fan motor
or in the overhead suspension system.

I'd say you should start looking for that kind of thing.

It could also be a loose winding on the motor field. A splash of 5
minute epoxy will correct that. (Once you find where it's loose. G)

We just returned last nite from an extended weekend trip down to a
friend's home near Orlando. The guest room had a fan suspended from the
high point of a peaked ceiling. The fan was slightly out of balance and
produced a once per revolution short "grunting" noise at low speed which
once in a while skipped a beat or two.

Twas most disconcerting when I tried to fall asleep. The noise, though
not very lound started pounding in my brain.

The next day I tried prodding on things with a broom handle and could
make the noise "go away" by pressing against the suspension "pipe" near
where it emerged from the ceiling box. I borrowed a ladder, lowered the
box cover and found that the two screws which held the piupe's
supporting flange into the box were both loose by several turns.

Snugging those screws up made the noise go away for the rest of our
nites there. But, I wonder how close to falling out they were and
whether the wirenuts on the motor/lamp leads would have been enought to
keep the whole damn fan from crashing onto us in the bed we occupied
during our stay.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia