Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window AC drain

I have a window AC in my 2nd floor apartment that is running constantly
during the summer, and, as a result, drips a lot of water onto the
patio below. I would like to run a flexible pipe down to a sewer
drain, but I'm not sure how to connect to the the AC steel drain pan.
At the front/corner/bottom edge of the unit, there is a 1/2"-3/4" hole
on the side of the pan (not the bottom), so I'm not sure if that's the
only place it will drip from. I'm having help to install the AC this
weekend, so I'd like to have a good setup in place (since I won't be
able to take it down alone to make adjustments later). Any advice or
experience? Also what type of hose/piping would I need to get? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mch

Also wanted to add:

After reading through some more topics here, I found this info:

Most room air conditioners are designed NOT to drip water out the
back. The condenser fan blade has a ring built into it to pick up the
water and "sling" the water against the hot condenser tubing to help
keep the coils cooler when the unit is running.

So I think that hole is supposed to be plugged on my 5-year-old AC.

However, my landlord believes that if its not dripping out, then it's
draining into the walls.
So I may have to live with lower efficiency and a leak.

Thanks in advance for any other ideas!

New window in shower - use Corian? [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 8th 06 11:45 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage over a roll type in a one window bathroom? Bob Valor Home Repair 5 July 14th 05 07:05 AM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Bosch dishwasher SHU 3300 cycle not advancing past initial drain repair story mcquarrie Home Repair 1 June 16th 04 11:14 PM