Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air conditioner over fused - what?

My son is buying a townhome and had it inspected. The inspection
report said that the A/C was overfused. This sounds like a simple fix
to me - that of replacing the breaker with a lower rated breaker.

Or am I missing something important here?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is buying a townhome and had it inspected. The inspection
report said that the A/C was overfused. This sounds like a simple fix
to me - that of replacing the breaker with a lower rated breaker.

Or am I missing something important here?

That is what it sounds like to me also. I suggest your son ask the
inspector what it means. He got paid to find and explain the problems.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is buying a townhome and had it inspected. The inspection
report said that the A/C was overfused. This sounds like a simple fix
to me - that of replacing the breaker with a lower rated breaker.

Or am I missing something important here?

There should be a nameplate on the outside of the condensing unit that will
say what the maximum fuse size should be. Compare that to the actual
fuse/circuit breaker that is protecting that circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

The inspector was just reporting that the breaker was too large for the wire
size.
He wasn't making any judgement about the ampacity necessary for the A/C.
It's entirely possible that the a/c would run on the appropriate sized
breaker, then again, maybe not.

Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is buying a townhome and had it inspected. The inspection
report said that the A/C was overfused. This sounds like a simple fix
to me - that of replacing the breaker with a lower rated breaker.

Or am I missing something important here?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

"bill allemann" wrote in message
. com...

The inspector was just reporting that the breaker was too large for the
wire size.
He wasn't making any judgement about the ampacity necessary for the A/C.
It's entirely possible that the a/c would run on the appropriate sized
breaker, then again, maybe not.

Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is buying a townhome and had it inspected. The inspection
report said that the A/C was overfused. This sounds like a simple fix
to me - that of replacing the breaker with a lower rated breaker.

Or am I missing something important here?

Are there by any chance two sets of breakers for the unit. In the county
seat near me, code requires a second breaker located at or near the outside
unit. I assume this a safety factor so a technician working on the unit can
see and be sure that he has no power to the unit and that someone in the
basement hasn't flipped the breaker back on. Or maybe to foil the techs
tendency to work on a hot unit to avoid climbing up and down the stairs.
So, anyway, the practice around here is to oversize the outside breaker so
if there is a problem only the inside one flips off. I'm not an electrician
or HVAC guy but that's what I was told...I only sold the breakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"bill allemann" wrote in message
. com...

The inspector was just reporting that the breaker was too large for the
wire size.

Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is buying a townhome and had it inspected. The inspection
report said that the A/C was overfused.

How do you get to that conclusion? Wire size was not mentioned, only the AC
was over fused.

What we need to know is the wire size, breaker size, and the draw of the AC.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is buying a townhome and had it inspected. The inspection
report said that the A/C was overfused. This sounds like a simple fix
to me - that of replacing the breaker with a lower rated breaker.

Or am I missing something important here?

There should be a nameplate on the outside of the condensing unit that

will
say what the maximum fuse size should be. Compare that to the actual
fuse/circuit breaker that is protecting that circuit.

Something else to consider. It's possible that the disconnect switch on the
outside of the house may say '60' on it(if it looks like a circuit breaker)
and be nothing more than a disconnect.