Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
rob

Default Gas water heaters

I'm in the houston, texas area (hard water) and want to get an idea
what is a good brand for gas hot water heaters? I think my current is
two 52 gallon size. My house is about 8 years old. Any idea what a
plumber charges for parts and labor (for 2 of them)?

And does consumer reports have anything on best brands?

thanks.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

rob wrote:
I'm in the houston, texas area (hard water) and want to get an idea
what is a good brand for gas hot water heaters? I think my current is
two 52 gallon size. My house is about 8 years old. Any idea what a
plumber charges for parts and labor (for 2 of them)?

And does consumer reports have anything on best brands?

thanks.

You must use a lot of hot water. BTW you don't heat hot water so you
can call them "water heaters" :-)

Do you really need two water heaters?

If your home is only 8 years old, I wonder if you need to worry about
replacements yet. Are your neighbors with the same water supply and same
age water heaters starting to have problems?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Javier

Joseph Meehan wrote:
rob wrote:
I'm in the houston, texas area (hard water) and want to get an idea
what is a good brand for gas hot water heaters? I think my current is
two 52 gallon size. My house is about 8 years old. Any idea what a
plumber charges for parts and labor (for 2 of them)?

And does consumer reports have anything on best brands?

thanks.

You must use a lot of hot water. BTW you don't heat hot water so you
can call them "water heaters" :-)

Do you really need two water heaters?

If your home is only 8 years old, I wonder if you need to worry about
replacements yet. Are your neighbors with the same water supply and same
age water heaters starting to have problems?

I bought a new house in CA in 1998. The water heater installed by the
builder had a 3 year warranty. It failed after about 3.5 years in
service, leaking badly at the bottom of the tank.

The brand was something like cheapasspieceofcrap, inc.

That same evening I trekked down to Home Despot, bought a GE (the model
with the 9 year warranty, I think) and installed it myself. It was
working fine last year when we sold the house...

It wasn't a complicated job at all. Just water supply, hot water output,
and gas supply. I called the gas co. next day, they came over and
inspected it at no charge, the guy said "looks professional!".

-jav
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

rob wrote:
I'm in the houston, texas area (hard water) and want to get an idea
what is a good brand for gas hot water heaters? I think my current is
two 52 gallon size. My house is about 8 years old. Any idea what a
plumber charges for parts and labor (for 2 of them)?

And does consumer reports have anything on best brands?

thanks.

We moved into this new home in Houston TX in October 1982. First one
before the water softener, only lasted about 6-7 years. We later
installed a water softener and replaced the hot water heater in the same
year. The one presently installed is working fine and it has a MFG
label of late 1988.

Adding a whole house water softener at the same time that the water
heater(s) are replaced will save money in the long run, and make water
in the house FEEL so much better.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Xeno Chauvin

rob wrote in message ...
Any idea what a
plumber charges for parts and labor (for 2 of them)?

The last time I saw a sign in Home Depot ( Houston) their example was
40 gal gas (G.E. I think) installed 495.00*
* Normal installation.
Normal installation probably means,ground floor, direct access (no moving
anything), no new inlet or outlet lines, no sweat fittings, no drain pan, no
drain line, no new pop-off valve etc.
Throwing all that in you're probably looking at $600.
On two 52 gallon I'd say around $850.00 each would get it.
AND you get to clean up after them for FREE!
Xeno

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 27 May 2006 00:37:06 GMT, "Xeno Chauvin"
wrote:

rob wrote in message ...
Any idea what a
plumber charges for parts and labor (for 2 of them)?

The last time I saw a sign in Home Depot ( Houston) their example was
40 gal gas (G.E. I think) installed 495.00*

I just had one replaced (in east Texas) for about that.

http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com