Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
PRNole

Default Newbie help! Interlock vs. transfer switch

I've been getting a lot of contradictory information from my local
electrical contractors on my way to get an estimate for installing a
manual transfer switch between my generator and my breaker panel. I
need to clear the picture and hope someone can help me:

I have an off-the-rack Lowe's bought "Troy-Built" 5500W portable
gasoline generator and want to install a transfer switch so I can
by-pass the house's main breaker and run the generator to supply
temporary juice when undergoing extended loss or power.

So far I have gotten the following advice (and prices):

1. Install a 6-circuit manual transfer switch for $600
2. Install the same as above for $1,200 to $1,800, depending on what's
involved
3. Told my generator cannot work with a transfer switch
4. Told I'd be better off using a Square D Interlock kit instead of the
6-circuit transfer switch so I can use the entire existing house
breaker panel and manage the load myself, not being restricted to 6
circuits (My breaker panel is a GE and supports Square D)
5. Told *never* to use GE Interlock (or any other brand) and stick with
manual transfer switches instead, whether 6- or more circuits

All the above info provided by 5 different state-certified, licensed
contractors that operate in my local area.

So, I have learned nothing except I need independent advice.

Help?