Posted to alt.home.repair
Ahmed

Default Help me pleeez.. My food is rotting away!!

Hi All,
I have a Maytag 21 cu. ft fridge model PTB21BBGRW. It has a top freezer
(sperate door) without ice maker (3 years old only!) Picture is similar
to this:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1894_62887331

I noticed recently that the bottom unit (with the main door) has no
cooling. (Two jugs of milk went sour after a couple of days!!). I
tried to incrase the thermostat setting but the problem is still there.
(there're two thermostat dials, one for the freezer and one for the
bottom unit)
The freezer is working very good though, plenty of cooling and the food
there gets frozen quick..

I found a wiring diagram and a list of parts (with exploded drawings)
he
http://www.partadvantage.com/store/c...GRW/PTB21BBGRW

I noticed from the wiring diagram that the bottom unit and the freezer
share the same compressor, and since the freezer is running flawlessly,
I assume that the compressor is good, and the cooling gas is charged
and not leaking..

I am good with electronics and electricity in general but I don't even
know where to start in this case. I am guessing a control unit or so
may have gone bad..

Any help is appreciated..
Thanks a lot..

Ahmed
Calgary, Alberta - Canada

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Ahmed wrote:
[...]

HI,
Fan, check the fan which circulates the cold air to the bottom.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ahmed

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply.
If you mean the fan in the freezer, it is running fine. Is there
another fan that directs cold air to the bottom section (the
refrigerator section)? If so, where it is and where is the switch that
controls it..??
Thanks again,.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

There are vents, ductwork and a fan that drives cool, freezer air into the
lower compartment. Since you say the fan is working, but apparently little
air is getting to the refridgerator, that's what needs scrutiny. In many of
these, the thermostat for the lower area actually operates a duct flap
allowing more / less air into lower area. In addition, there is a sensor
that measures compartment air temp, compares it to the "set" temp on the
thermostat and, if required, opens / closes the flap.

"Ahmed" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
.. .
There are vents, ductwork and a fan that drives cool, freezer air into the
lower compartment. Since you say the fan is working, but apparently
little air is getting to the refridgerator, that's what needs scrutiny.
In many of these, the thermostat for the lower area actually operates a
duct flap allowing more / less air into lower area. In addition, there is
a sensor that measures compartment air temp, compares it to the "set" temp
on the thermostat and, if required, opens / closes the flap.

Right. It is possible that the vents are blocked with ice. If it is not
defrosting properly, that can happen. Getting rid of the ice is step one,
but you have to find the reason it build up.

You can also find information at:
www.applianceaid.com
www.repairclinic.com