Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting a deck

I am going to repaint an outdoor deck. Do I need any special kind of
paint for a surface that people walk over? I had planned to just
scrape it, then put down a coat of Zinzer 123 primer, then a coat of
exterior latex, but am not sure if that will work for foot traffic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if it was never painted in the past and is outdoor treated wood DONT
PAINT IT STAIN IT!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am going to repaint an outdoor deck. Do I need any special kind of
paint for a surface that people walk over? I had planned to just
scrape it, then put down a coat of Zinzer 123 primer, then a coat of
exterior latex, but am not sure if that will work for foot traffic.

Latex paint won't hold up well on a deck. Are you sure it is not a solid
stain on it now?

Stains do not need a primer and there are some formulated just for decks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OT - decks suck, patios rule. I never have to do dick to my patio.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
OT - decks suck, patios rule. I never have to do dick to my patio.

True, but it is not easy getting the patio 8' up in the air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wish it had never been painted but it had already been painted
(white), when I bought the house. It is a small deck, just a little
landing maybe 3'x6' at the back door. I will probably tear it down and
replace it in a few years, but the paint is coming off it now and I
want to make sure it doesn't rot before I get around to replacing it.

I don't like oil based paints. Is there any non oil based paint anyone
could recommend?

Posted to alt.home.repair

for just a few years it doesnt matter what paint you use, personally I
have had great luck with behr the home depot brand

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I wish it had never been painted but it had already been painted
(white), when I bought the house. It is a small deck, just a little
landing maybe 3'x6' at the back door. I will probably tear it down and
replace it in a few years, but the paint is coming off it now and I
want to make sure it doesn't rot before I get around to replacing it.

I don't like oil based paints. Is there any non oil based paint anyone
could recommend?

Should take more than just a few years to rot away so save the paint money.
Start planning on a new deck of mahogany or ipe that will last 50+ years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

I used the color "driftwood" and it really does look like driftwood,
especially after a couple years.

Driftwood, as in "gray" ?

This is what naturally happens to your deck in a few years if you don't
protect it from sunlight. The "driftwood" gray color is the result of
sun damage.

Sounds like what's happening is that your deck is being attacked by the
sun and turning gray because the stain you're using doesn't have
sufficient UV blockers.