Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Gloria Hagwood

Default Painting a deck

wrote:
I am going to repaint an outdoor deck. Do I need any special kind of
paint for a surface that people walk over? I had planned to just
scrape it, then put down a coat of Zinzer 123 primer, then a coat of
exterior latex, but am not sure if that will work for foot traffic.

If it has never been painted- just stained or oiled- I'd
pressure wash it first, then apply one or two coats of
pigmented deck stain.

If it's been painted before, you should probably take it
down to bare wood (floor sander?) and then follow your
instinct with the primer. I'd personally use an oil-based
topcoat for porches, but then I'm old fashioned.

Mark