Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck

Default Seeking adivce buying/building metal lattice-style trellis

Greetings all!

I just put a deck on my house that comes off the house about 5 feet
above a lower deck, and so now I want to fill in the rougly 5 ft high
gap between the two decks with some kind of lattice panels up which I
can grow vines.

I have been looking online and in catalogs for metal trellises, but
they tend to have arched or otherwise shaped tops which wouldn't work
too well for my purposes. What I would really like to find are panels
just like the regular "rectangular-with-diagonal-slats" panels you can
easily find at hardware stores, but in metal (preferably rust-colored)
rather than wood.

So if anyone knows where I can find such a product, thanks for the
info! However, if I can't find a pre-made version of what I want, I
will probably try to build what I want; regarding that possibility,
does anyone know where I can order strips or "metal slats" that I can
cut to my own needs?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On 19 May 2006 13:25:01 -0700, "Chuck" wrote:
So if anyone knows where I can find such a product, thanks for the
info! However, if I can't find a pre-made version of what I want, I
will probably try to build what I want; regarding that possibility,
does anyone know where I can order strips or "metal slats" that I can
cut to my own needs?

Go to the typical welder / metal supply store where the guys who build
metal fences go... The 1/2" solid bar stock will last a very long
time... It takes a *long* time for 1/2" of solid steel to rust away...
The pieces come in 20 ft lengths, but they'll usually cut them down a
bit for you if you can't handle that long of a piece in your vehicle
or trailer... If you want the slat look instead, go with the 3/4", 1",
or 1.5" by 1/8" stock... Clean all the oil off of whatever type of
stock that you choose with paint thinner / mineral spirits and weld
everything together... Then spray it with some water and leave it out
for awhile... It'll have a nice rust 'patina' soon enough... You can
expedite this a bit with some acid... If you use acid, you'll want to
neutralize it once you get it to your desired patina with some sort of
base like baking soda...
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
[...]

Between www.granger.com and www.mcmastercarr.com you should be able to find
everything you need. Both have huge print catalogs too.

If its going to cover with vines quickly (and be hidden), you can do it much
more cheaply using rebar from home depot. Copper pipe also makes nice
frameworks and if you use epoxy instead of solder to connect the fittings it
looks more like solid copper (no solder exposed at joints).

I have also seen ads in the back of mags like pop sci for bending tools used
in cast iron working. You will need something if you want to bend twists,
curves or spirals.

question jr Metalworking 17 August 30th 05 01:37 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM