Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cannot turn gas meter back on after shutting it off

Hello, I had to shut off my gas at the meter in order to replace a hot
water tank. However I cannot seem to get the gas back on. When I turn
the valve I can hear the regulator pressuring up but nothing is getting
through the meter itself. Is there some kind of safety built in so home
owner cannot turn their gas back on? Does anyone know how to reset it?

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

The gas valve is just a valve, it can be turned off and back on, unless it
is locked off, usually by a padlock. If gas does not feed through the meter,
call the gas company. However, normally you will NOT hear gas passing
through the pilot light when you press the button on the water heater. It
may take time to purge the air out your line to get the gas flowing. It can
take several minutes, so keep trying, or call the utility.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I had to shut off my gas at the meter in order to replace a hot
water tank. However I cannot seem to get the gas back on. When I turn
the valve I can hear the regulator pressuring up but nothing is getting
through the meter itself. Is there some kind of safety built in so home
owner cannot turn their gas back on? Does anyone know how to reset it?

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"EXT" wrote in message
ews.com...
However, normally you will NOT hear gas passing
through the pilot light when you press the button on the water heater. It
may take time to purge the air out your line to get the gas flowing. It

can
take several minutes, so keep trying, or call the utility.

Have a gas range? Turn the burners on as that is the onlyh appliance that
willfreely pass the gas. Purge the air and it shouldlight. Once it seems to
be steady, light te pilot lights on the other appliances. There will still
be some air to be purged, so be patient.

I don't know about residential meters, but some industrial regulatgors
dohave a reset on them. It is just a rod you have to push down. I've not
seen a new residential meter so I don't know if it would apply in your case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with Doug. It takes a LONG time to purge the line. I remember
that when I did mine, I thought that I did something wrong because it
took that long and my shutoff valve was only 6 feet away in a 1/2" pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Centerpoint came out this morning and replaced a bad regulator. The
service is working again!! Thanks for all the info.

Airgun plans? Gunner Metalworking 38 April 30th 06 06:19 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
water company dishonest? Tony Home Repair 9 May 24th 04 03:44 AM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM