Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Default Cannot turn gas meter back on after shutting it off

The gas valve is just a valve, it can be turned off and back on, unless it
is locked off, usually by a padlock. If gas does not feed through the meter,
call the gas company. However, normally you will NOT hear gas passing
through the pilot light when you press the button on the water heater. It
may take time to purge the air out your line to get the gas flowing. It can
take several minutes, so keep trying, or call the utility.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I had to shut off my gas at the meter in order to replace a hot
water tank. However I cannot seem to get the gas back on. When I turn
the valve I can hear the regulator pressuring up but nothing is getting
through the meter itself. Is there some kind of safety built in so home
owner cannot turn their gas back on? Does anyone know how to reset it?

Thanks!!