Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Paulsen

Default supporting 12 AWG wire run between block and 2x4 walls.

I'm wiring a walkout basement which has ~4' high block wall with 2x6
stud wall on top of that. There is a 2x4 stud wall (4' high) in front of
the block with a 1" space between the block and stud wall. I'd like to
run the wiring in that 1" space between the walls rather than through
the studs. I need some THINGY to support the wires. I didn't find
anything at the local bigbox. Nor he
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product.../Staples.shtml

The closest thing I see on that page is the MultiCable Staple. Something
like that would work if it were designed to be mounted on the side of
the stud and extend into the 1" space.
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product...le_Staples.jpg

Any ideas on what you would call such a THINGY and were I might find it?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If the walls are finished, you can snake the wires as Doug suggested, if
they're open though, I don't know of any device made for cable support on
the edge or studs. I've had situations where I could catch a staple at the
back edge of the stud

"Mike Paulsen" wrote in message
I'm wiring a walkout basement which has ~4' high block wall with 2x6 stud
wall on top of that. There is a 2x4 stud wall (4' high) in front of the
block with a 1" space between the block and stud wall. I'd like to run the
wiring in that 1" space between the walls rather than through the studs. I
need some THINGY to support the wires. I didn't find anything at the local
bigbox. Nor he
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product.../Staples.shtml

The closest thing I see on that page is the MultiCable Staple. Something
like that would work if it were designed to be mounted on the side of the
stud and extend into the 1" space.
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product...le_Staples.jpg

Any ideas on what you would call such a THINGY and were I might find it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"Mike Paulsen" wrote in message
I'm wiring a walkout basement which has ~4' high block wall with 2x6
stud wall on top of that. There is a 2x4 stud wall (4' high) in front of
the block with a 1" space between the block and stud wall. I'd like to
run the wiring in that 1" space between the walls rather than through
the studs. I need some THINGY to support the wires. I didn't find
anything at the local bigbox. Nor he
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product.../Staples.shtml

The closest thing I see on that page is the MultiCable Staple. Something
like that would work if it were designed to be mounted on the side of
the stud and extend into the 1" space.

http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product...le_Staples.jpg

Any ideas on what you would call such a THINGY and were I might find it?

In the time spent looking for an alternative you could have had a bunch of
holes drilled. You can drill towards the rear of the stud to avoid the risk
of piercing the cable with a nail.

If you have your heart set on running the wire in the back you can make your
own cable supports. Get some 1" x 3" or 1" x 4" or strips of plywood. Cut
pieces long enough to go from the front of the stud to the block wall. Make
a small notch on top in the part that is between the back of the stud and
the block wall. Mount these to the studs every 3 to 4 feet. Lay your
cable on top in the notch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

John Grabowski wrote:
[...]

That was my thought except that I don't see any need for the notch. He
only has a 1" space so the cable will take up a good part of that and
it won't matter if it does shift a bit.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

I've used the cable stackers you show in the second link. I used it to
support some romex in a 1.5" space between two studs. You can just cut the
top one or two rungs off the thing to make it fit in a smaller space. The
way it nails diagonally into the stud but still holds the cable in the
middle is just what you need.

I also used a bunch of them in my crawlspace to support the cable and phone
wires as it allows me to reconfigure the system without pulling any staples,
I can also get a bunch of cables in one.

They come in boxes of 25 at home depot or any electrical supply house.

"Mike Paulsen" wrote in message
I'm wiring a walkout basement which has ~4' high block wall with 2x6 stud
wall on top of that. There is a 2x4 stud wall (4' high) in front of the
block with a 1" space between the block and stud wall. I'd like to run the
wiring in that 1" space between the walls rather than through the studs. I
need some THINGY to support the wires. I didn't find anything at the local
bigbox. Nor he
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product.../Staples.shtml

The closest thing I see on that page is the MultiCable Staple. Something
like that would work if it were designed to be mounted on the side of the
stud and extend into the 1" space.
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product...le_Staples.jpg

Any ideas on what you would call such a THINGY and were I might find it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

Take short pieces of 2x4 and nail them TO the 2x4 studs in such a manner
that they touch the block wall. There, you have created a shelf for the
wire to lay on. I'm not sure this will pass code inspection though. Why
not just drill the studs and go through them as you normally would?

--
Steve Barker

"Mike Paulsen" wrote in message
I'm wiring a walkout basement which has ~4' high block wall with 2x6 stud
wall on top of that. There is a 2x4 stud wall (4' high) in front of the
block with a 1" space between the block and stud wall. I'd like to run the
wiring in that 1" space between the walls rather than through the studs. I
need some THINGY to support the wires. I didn't find anything at the local
bigbox. Nor he
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product.../Staples.shtml

The closest thing I see on that page is the MultiCable Staple. Something
like that would work if it were designed to be mounted on the side of the
stud and extend into the 1" space.
http://www.gardnerbender.com/Product...le_Staples.jpg

Any ideas on what you would call such a THINGY and were I might find it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "Steve Barker LT" wrote:
Take short pieces of 2x4 and nail them TO the 2x4 studs in such a manner
that they touch the block wall. There, you have created a shelf for the
wire to lay on. I'm not sure this will pass code inspection though.

Why would it not pass Code inspection? Code doesn't require *any* support in
this situation.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

That's why i said "i'm not sure". Cause I DID NOT KNOW. Thanks for the
input.

--
Steve Barker

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:
Take short pieces of 2x4 and nail them TO the 2x4 studs in such a manner
that they touch the block wall. There, you have created a shelf for the
wire to lay on. I'm not sure this will pass code inspection though.

Why would it not pass Code inspection? Code doesn't require *any* support
in
this situation.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "Steve Barker LT" wrote:
That's why i said "i'm not sure". Cause I DID NOT KNOW. Thanks for the
input.

If you've been following the thread, you should have seen my earlier post that
quoted the relevant section of the Code to demonstrate that no support is
needed.

Of course, there's also the larger question of why you would suggest something
that you weren't sure would meet Code.