Posted to alt.home.repair
rosebud

Default draining water softener

I just moved into a rental that has a water softener. The water without
it is softer than I am used to anyway so I gave the landlord permission
to turn it off. Now it is sitting there filled with water. It makes me
nervous since I assume bacteria and mold may be able to grow in it. Is
there a way to drain it? I don't have the manual.

Thanks for any advise,
Bonnie
Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Rosebud,

If you want to drain the salt tank you can use a wet/dry vacuum. I doubt
many things will grow in such a salty environment though. The water will be
very salty so do not pour it on your lawn.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

rosebud wrote:
I just moved into a rental that has a water softener. The water
without it is softer than I am used to anyway so I gave the landlord
permission to turn it off. Now it is sitting there filled with water.
It makes me nervous since I assume bacteria and mold may be able to
grow in it. Is there a way to drain it? I don't have the manual.

Thanks for any advise,
Bonnie

The water in the brine talk is so salty, it will be difficult, but not
impossible for mold to grow in it.

Ask the owner for assistance in drining the brine tank and discarding
the salt inside. It is safe to put this all down a tub drain, flush
down the toilet, provided that you are attached to a municipal sewer.