Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

Default hardwood floor underlayment

I have two quotes on putting down a hardwood floor in my home. One
installer says that heavy duty poly sheet is best, another showed his
underlayment and it looks like roofing paper to me. The floor would be
installed over 3/4 plywood over a crawlspace. We will be using a 3/4
prefinished hardwood floor. What are the opinions out there regarding
underlayment?
Thanks
JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:20:34 -0400, "JD" wrote:

I have two quotes on putting down a hardwood floor in my home. One
installer says that heavy duty poly sheet is best, another showed his
underlayment and it looks like roofing paper to me. The floor would be
installed over 3/4 plywood over a crawlspace. We will be using a 3/4
prefinished hardwood floor. What are the opinions out there regarding
underlayment?
Thanks
JD

I'm thinking troll. Did you sell the townhouse you didn't or cannot
fix for lack of $$$?

Is this the current single home or the townhouse?

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

I am not sure what you mean.
It is my current home and we are upgrading from carpet to hardwood. We will
be in the house another 10-15 years. One of the installers uses a product
called AquaBar, which appears to be a sandwich of paper with a tar like
substance in the middle. The argument he makes is that poly will leave
holes but this aquabar paper seals around the staples. It makes sense to me
on the surface, but I am still looking for advice.
JD

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:20:34 -0400, "JD" wrote:

I have two quotes on putting down a hardwood floor in my home. One
installer says that heavy duty poly sheet is best, another showed his
underlayment and it looks like roofing paper to me. The floor would be
installed over 3/4 plywood over a crawlspace. We will be using a 3/4
prefinished hardwood floor. What are the opinions out there regarding
underlayment?
Thanks
JD

I'm thinking troll. Did you sell the townhouse you didn't or cannot
fix for lack of $$$?

Is this the current single home or the townhouse?

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

JD wrote:
I am not sure what you mean.
It is my current home and we are upgrading from carpet to hardwood. We will
be in the house another 10-15 years. One of the installers uses a product
called AquaBar, which appears to be a sandwich of paper with a tar like
substance in the middle. The argument he makes is that poly will leave
holes but this aquabar paper seals around the staples. It makes sense to me
on the surface, but I am still looking for advice.

AquaBar seems to be a laminated kraft paper/building felt (tar paper)
product.
http://www.fortifiber.com/floor_prot...ison_chart.htm

Regular 15# asphalt-impregnated building felt is what I put under
hardwood floors. Some people use red rosin paper, but I like the vapor
barrier qualities of the felt. AquaBar is essentially more expensive
building felt. I'd choose that over polyethylene. I'd choose building
felt over AquaBar and ask for a discount.

Frankly, the sealing around the staples is gilding the lily. The
amount of moisture that would be introduced thorugh the staple holes is
insignificant. If moisture through the staple holes is a problem, then
you don't solve it at the floor underlayment level, you solve it down
in the crawlspace with a barrier placed on the soil/cement and/or
ventilating the crawlspace. Otherwise you're essentially saying, "I
don't mind if the floor joists and subfloor rot, as long as my hardwood
floor looks good." That's crazy talk!

Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

My crawl space is kept pretty dry and in good shape.
I appreciate the response. Thank you
JD
"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

JD wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

"JD" wrote in message
I have two quotes on putting down a hardwood floor in my home. One
installer says that heavy duty poly sheet is best, another showed his
underlayment and it looks like roofing paper to me. The floor would be
installed over 3/4 plywood over a crawlspace. We will be using a 3/4
prefinished hardwood floor. What are the opinions out there regarding
underlayment?
Thanks
JD

I put plain old roofing paper under my HW floor (3/4" prefinished). Can't
remember if I used #15 or #30. The roofing paper has better sound deadening
properties IMO.

I did another floor with the floating laminate click lock type stuff and
used the blue poly sheets as recomended by the manufacture.

Kevin