Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.pro

Default plug up the opening of a 2" cable conduit for soundproofing

I have built 2 rooms with a soundproof window between them. I have
buried a 2" diameter PVC conduit under the concrete slab between these
2 rooms, and the opening on either side of the conduit comes up to
grade level in both rooms. I am passing sound system cables from one
room to the other through the conduit.

Now that I have passed the cables through, I like to stuff/plug up the
openings of the conduit with some form of putty material. This material
should remain soft so that I can take it out again when I need to add
or remove the cables.

Any suggestions on what material I can use to plug up the conduit
openings? How about plumbers' putty?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.pro
Rudy

Give it a "shot" of spray foam in each end

a 2" diameter PVC conduit under the concrete slab between these
2 rooms, and the opening on either side of the conduit comes up to
grade level in both rooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.pro
buffalobill

how about clean rags or towels?
plumber's putty would do the job but it's messy.
it would slow down water and insects.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce

On Sat, 13 May 2006 07:57:54 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

Give it a "shot" of spray foam in each end

Good solution, but it does tend to cling when you want to remove it,
so insert a thin plastic bag first, and spray the foam into that.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.pro
Steve King

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have built 2 rooms with a soundproof window between them. I have
buried a 2" diameter PVC conduit under the concrete slab between these
2 rooms, and the opening on either side of the conduit comes up to
grade level in both rooms. I am passing sound system cables from one
room to the other through the conduit.

Now that I have passed the cables through, I like to stuff/plug up the
openings of the conduit with some form of putty material. This material
should remain soft so that I can take it out again when I need to add
or remove the cables.

Any suggestions on what material I can use to plug up the conduit
openings? How about plumbers' putty?

Thanks

I've used a rag with a stout cord stuffed in first, followed by children's
play clay, oil based. The rag will drag out the clay, when you need to.
The clay never dries out.

Steve King

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.pro

Monkey **** is very much like modelling clay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

wrote:

Give it a "shot" of spray foam in each end

Good solution, but it does tend to cling when you want to remove it,
so insert a thin plastic bag first, and spray the foam into that.

Hmm 2" conduit ? How about a condom?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.audio.pro
WillStG

wrote:
I have built 2 rooms with a soundproof window between them. I have
buried a 2" diameter PVC conduit under the concrete slab between these
2 rooms, and the opening on either side of the conduit comes up to
grade level in both rooms. I am passing sound system cables from one
room to the other through the conduit.

Now that I have passed the cables through, I like to stuff/plug up the
openings of the conduit with some form of putty material. This material
should remain soft so that I can take it out again when I need to add
or remove the cables.

Any suggestions on what material I can use to plug up the conduit
openings? How about plumbers' putty?

Thanks

Well - is there a possibility you will have more cables to pull
in the not so distant future? In any event it is a good idea to
leave a rope or dedicated wire in your cable conduit for an easy
install the next time you have to do a cable pull - and this has turned
out to be a regular thing in some places I have worked, especially in
the conduit between a machine room and the control room. Also you can
just cover the conduit hole with a large heavy duty Sandbag or two,
such as are commonly used in Stage and Video production applications.
This is I think less messy and more efficient in reducing sound
transmissions than putty or "Stuff" foam, assuming you can cover the
hole and cables fully. You can also build a box to cover the sandbags
if you find them unsightly or in the way.

Cheers,

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Cable TV options? mgarvie Home Repair 18 April 6th 06 01:14 AM
FA: 1/2" thru 2" metal pipe / conduit / tubing bender [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 31st 06 02:58 PM
Burke Millrite Spindle Bearings Access Plug Dennis van Dam Metalworking 22 August 3rd 04 06:32 AM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM