Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tappan self cleaning oven

help. I just purchased a home that has an older 5-7 years, Tappan self
cleaning oven. I can't figure out how to start the self cleaning
process. I place the first selector in clean, and the thermostat
selector in the clean position, then the sound of the door locking is
heard. The lock light comes on put it never gets hot to clean it out.
The stove works under the normal broil and bake positions. Am I
missing a step or is it just broken. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

" wrote:

help. I just purchased a home that has an older 5-7 years, Tappan self
cleaning oven. I can't figure out how to start the self cleaning
process. I place the first selector in clean, and the thermostat
selector in the clean position, then the sound of the door locking is
heard. The lock light comes on put it never gets hot to clean it out.
The stove works under the normal broil and bake positions. Am I
missing a step or is it just broken. Thanks.

You're most likely missing the timer setting. Self clean generally only
works with the timer set to turn the clean cycle off after a period of
time.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
help. I just purchased a home that has an older 5-7 years, Tappan self
cleaning oven. I can't figure out how to start the self cleaning
process. I place the first selector in clean, and the thermostat
selector in the clean position, then the sound of the door locking is
heard. The lock light comes on put it never gets hot to clean it out.
The stove works under the normal broil and bake positions. Am I
missing a step or is it just broken. Thanks.

Tappan is now part of Electrolux. I don't know if the brand is made any
more so it may be difficult to find a manual.

Self cleaning must be started and stopped with the timers. Most brands
recommend about three hours to do the cleaning. It may smell, smoke a
little, or even set off the smoke detectors. this is caused by any residue
burning up to a fine ash. Open a window or exhaust vent once it is
cranking up the heat.

Even if it shuts off, you may find the oven locked until it cools down some.
This is a normal safety device.

Scary behavior from Whirlpool Self Cleaning Oven [email protected] Home Repair 20 January 22nd 17 10:52 AM
Electronic Wall oven, self cleaning latch -now I've done it! Rob Mitchell Home Repair 0 November 25th 05 04:42 PM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
tappan gas oven problem dickknox Home Repair 1 October 14th 05 02:09 PM