DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tappan self cleaning oven (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/157129-tappan-self-cleaning-oven.html)

[email protected] May 12th 06 02:14 AM

tappan self cleaning oven

help. I just purchased a home that has an older 5-7 years, Tappan self
cleaning oven. I can't figure out how to start the self cleaning
process. I place the first selector in clean, and the thermostat
selector in the clean position, then the sound of the door locking is
heard. The lock light comes on put it never gets hot to clean it out.
The stove works under the normal broil and bake positions. Am I
missing a step or is it just broken. Thanks.

Pete C. May 12th 06 03:04 AM

tappan self cleaning oven

" wrote:

help. I just purchased a home that has an older 5-7 years, Tappan self
cleaning oven. I can't figure out how to start the self cleaning
process. I place the first selector in clean, and the thermostat
selector in the clean position, then the sound of the door locking is
heard. The lock light comes on put it never gets hot to clean it out.
The stove works under the normal broil and bake positions. Am I
missing a step or is it just broken. Thanks.

You're most likely missing the timer setting. Self clean generally only
works with the timer set to turn the clean cycle off after a period of
time.

Pete C.

Edwin Pawlowski May 12th 06 03:29 AM

tappan self cleaning oven

wrote in message
oups.com...
help. I just purchased a home that has an older 5-7 years, Tappan self
cleaning oven. I can't figure out how to start the self cleaning
process. I place the first selector in clean, and the thermostat
selector in the clean position, then the sound of the door locking is
heard. The lock light comes on put it never gets hot to clean it out.
The stove works under the normal broil and bake positions. Am I
missing a step or is it just broken. Thanks.

Tappan is now part of Electrolux. I don't know if the brand is made any
more so it may be difficult to find a manual.

Self cleaning must be started and stopped with the timers. Most brands
recommend about three hours to do the cleaning. It may smell, smoke a
little, or even set off the smoke detectors. this is caused by any residue
burning up to a fine ash. Open a window or exhaust vent once it is
cranking up the heat.

Even if it shuts off, you may find the oven locked until it cools down some.
This is a normal safety device.