Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk

Default Bathtub replacement options?

It drives me crazy to replace the old tub because it is an old cast
iron thing (I think) that is likely sixty hears old. It is functional
but we're planning on redoing the whole bathroom and the tub just
isn't shinny enough for one of us. That strikes me as a poor reason to
rip it out but, well, you know.

I've scanned a few years of messages here and the option of
resurfacing (or rather, painting) apparently only lasts for five years
even if done by a professional. There seems to be no point in redoing
the room and then having to rip out the tub when it starts to peel.

Here's the plan. It's a small bathroom that is the width of the tub (5
1/2 feet I think). There is a separate stall shower which gets used,
while the tub mostly holds the cat litterbox. Not very sightly but
functional. So, we replace the tub with something and add a shower.
The litterbox moves to the stall shower and I add some sort of dust
filter there to deal with the litter dust.

The question really is what kind of tub to use as a replacement. I
figure that as long as we're ripping the old one out that I might as
well replace it with a small whirlpool thing. However, there is a
question of major cleaning problems with something like that, as well
as durability. Most of the time it will be used as a shower.

So, plain bathtub or jacuzzi? Plastic or metal? Other thoughts
welcome. Money is, naturally, an issue and I'm hiring someone to do
this. I can fix minor stuff but I'm not capable of doing a bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

you can send you old cast iron tub out to be completely refinished if
you want.

they sand it down, remove all the old porcelin, and replace and bake it
just like it was originally.

good as new with a similiar life expectancy.

hard work removing the old cast iron tub and carrying it out/

If you like it why not get a price?

this isnt any of those paint the tub, this makes it essentially brand
new

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Interesting.

How would one find such a company?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:26:27 -0400, dgk wrote:

It drives me crazy to replace the old tub because it is an old cast
iron thing (I think) that is likely sixty hears old. It is functional
but we're planning on redoing the whole bathroom and the tub just
isn't shinny enough for one of us. That strikes me as a poor reason to
rip it out but, well, you know.

I love my clawfoot tub. I found a perfect book/magazine rack for it.
I've had it refinished twice in the 20 years I've owned the house,
once just after I moved in and again ten years ago. The phone book
lists several companies that do it. Or you can send it out. The feet
of mine will come off so it will fit through the door.

My neighbours cut a cat door in the door leading from the kitchen to
the basement, and keep their litter box down there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk

On 11 May 2006 05:33:52 -0700, "
wrote:

you can send you old cast iron tub out to be completely refinished if
you want.

they sand it down, remove all the old porcelin, and replace and bake it
just like it was originally.

good as new with a similiar life expectancy.

hard work removing the old cast iron tub and carrying it out/

If you like it why not get a price?

this isnt any of those paint the tub, this makes it essentially brand
new

I didn't mean to imply that the tub was particularly nice. There are
some nice ripples along the bottom but no claw legs or anything. It's
pretty much just a white box and sending it out would not be a cost
effective solution. Any tub will pretty much fill the bill.

As for Chris's Litterbox in the basement idea, it could be done but I
don't think that they would appreciate the inconvenience (they hang
out upstairs most of the time) nor would I, because I'm the guy that
gets to scoop it out twice a day. And you really don't want your cats
****ed about a litterbox move.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Sounds like you just have an old contractor tub porcelain on steel rather
than a true cast iron tub. Not freestanding right, built into 3 walls like
many baths are?

You can certainly still get porcelain on steel in a standard tub with skirt,
they are quieter than fiberglass to fill and use. You can even get the
retro look of the wavy lines you mentioned

Most wirlpool tubs will be acrylic or fiberglass. With proper care (no
abrasive cleaners) it will last a long time and can be polished later rather
than recoated. I clean mine with dishwasher gel detergent and that works
great to cut the soap scum and oils.

I say forget about the material and find a tub that you like the look size
and features and learn to care for the matrerial whatever it is later.

Personally I got rid of the litter box alltogether and installed a cat door
instead. I think he likes that better anyway. I just wish he would stop
kicking the mulch into the patio when he goes.

If you do want a refinished old tub. check out archetectural recyclers in
your area. These guys buy old tubs/ radiators/ hardware etc to resell or
restore.

"dgk" wrote in message
On 11 May 2006 05:33:52 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:46:13 -0400, dgk wrote:

On 11 May 2006 05:33:52 -0700, "

As for Chris's Litterbox in the basement idea, it could be done but I
don't think that they would appreciate the inconvenience (they hang
out upstairs most of the time) nor would I, because I'm the guy that
gets to scoop it out twice a day. And you really don't want your cats
****ed about a litterbox move.

It just seems to me that keeping the tub just so you can keep the
litterbox in it is kind of a waste of space. I was trying to think of
an alternative. g
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk

On Thu, 11 May 2006 20:53:42 GMT, wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:46:13 -0400, dgk wrote:

On 11 May 2006 05:33:52 -0700, "

As for Chris's Litterbox in the basement idea, it could be done but I
don't think that they would appreciate the inconvenience (they hang
out upstairs most of the time) nor would I, because I'm the guy that
gets to scoop it out twice a day. And you really don't want your cats
****ed about a litterbox move.

It just seems to me that keeping the tub just so you can keep the
litterbox in it is kind of a waste of space. I was trying to think of
an alternative. g

Leaving a cat door open so they can go outside isn't really an option.
I have my small backyard fenced in so they can't get out but I only
let them out when I'm around. Other animals, notably raccoons, do
manage to get in and out of the yard and I do not want a confrontation
with the cats.

Part of the reasoning for using the existing shower stall is to keep
the litter dust contained and easy to clean/filter. Plus we can take
the occasional bath once that is freed up.

If, as another poster wrote, the fiberglass tubs are as good as the
current steel one (I think that it is just steel rather than cast iron
- it is installed in the three walls) then I can just do that. I
figured that they would wear out faster.

I was looking forward to the whirpool but perhaps one of those
over-the-side type units would be acceptable for the occasional sore
muscle full body soak.

I just know that this is going to cost me a lot of money.
Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

Do you want to sell the home in the near future?
If so, resale would dictate both a tub and a shower stall.
Generally people want a tub for children, and adult
people want a shower stall. So if resale is in
your future, put in a new cast iron tub and tile
surround, and a nice new tiled shower.

But....if you plan on living there a long time....
do what you want. If I were to have one or
the other, I'd have a tub with tile surround because
it's more practical. But think about your needs
and wants and do something nice...don't do
a jury rig job. A complete remodel gives you
the opportunity to do something first class.

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
Sounds like you just have an old contractor tub porcelain on steel rather
than a true cast iron tub. Not freestanding right, built into 3 walls

like
many baths are?

You can certainly still get porcelain on steel in a standard tub with

skirt,
they are quieter than fiberglass to fill and use. You can even get the
retro look of the wavy lines you mentioned

Uh, quality 'modern' style tubs with skirts are cast iron, not steel. The
steel ones, that ring and ding like a car fender, are what the cheap
contractor-grade tubs were before plastic tubs got cheap. I was a
construction-site gofer back then- I humped enough of them in off the truck
to know the difference. The cast iron ones are a LOT heavier. I haven't seen
a new stamped-steel tub in years- not sure they even make them any more.
Modern plastic are okay too, and a lot warmer on the bare butt or feet,
especially if the dead space isn't insulated properly, but cast iron with
porcelin is by far the most durable.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
a friend has a cat door to basement, and a auto cleaning litter box.
reports ot saves her lots of work and mess

Cat door is a great idea, that way it craps in the neighbor's garden.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk

On 12 May 2006 21:38:39 -0700, "thetiler" wrote:

Do you want to sell the home in the near future?
If so, resale would dictate both a tub and a shower stall.
Generally people want a tub for children, and adult
people want a shower stall. So if resale is in
your future, put in a new cast iron tub and tile
surround, and a nice new tiled shower.

But....if you plan on living there a long time....
do what you want. If I were to have one or
the other, I'd have a tub with tile surround because
it's more practical. But think about your needs
and wants and do something nice...don't do
a jury rig job. A complete remodel gives you
the opportunity to do something first class.

thetiler

I'm likely here for ten years or so. I guess I do what we want. Likely
just going to be a new plastic thing.