Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Default Question about electrical work

I had an electrician here yesterday who was supposed to install a wall
outlet under my counter, due to switching from electric stove to gas
stove, which needs an outlet for the electronic ignition. He did not do
that, he unhooked my old electric stove and said when the new gas stove
is installed, they can just hard wire into the wires he capped. My
question is, is that legal? Will it void my warranty, and would an
installer even do it? I'm in CA. TIA

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Cheri wrote:

I had an electrician here yesterday who was supposed to install a wall
outlet under my counter, due to switching from electric stove to gas
stove, which needs an outlet for the electronic ignition. He did not do
that, he unhooked my old electric stove and said when the new gas stove
is installed, they can just hard wire into the wires he capped. My
question is, is that legal? Will it void my warranty, and would an
installer even do it? I'm in CA. TIA

--
Cheri

Not legal. The job was beyond his abilities so he
gave you a line...

Doing it right may be involved (read: expensive).

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On Wed, 10 May 2006 09:19:47 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

I had an electrician here yesterday who was supposed to install a wall
outlet under my counter, due to switching from electric stove to gas
stove, which needs an outlet for the electronic ignition. He did not do
that, he unhooked my old electric stove and said when the new gas stove
is installed, they can just hard wire into the wires he capped. My
question is, is that legal? Will it void my warranty, and would an
installer even do it? I'm in CA. TIA

IMHO:

From the NEC(since I'm not from CA or familar with CA codes), if the
manufacture allows for hardwiring, then it dosent violate the NEC or
the warranty.

Just a guess, since I'm not there doing the installation, to actually
see what your electrician did.

A little advice, ask the electrician when on site, you have his/her
ear since you are paying them. A good electrician should have the
latest copy of the NEC and local codes in their velhicle.

hth,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

I would be ticked off!

*You* asked him to install an outlet and he did not do this. If he works for
a large company, call and tell them what he did. Ask that they send someone
else out.

BTW, an electric range uses a big 240 volt outlet. A gas range would use a
regular 120 volt outlet. It would be best to have both outlets there for
use. Then you or future owners of your house can choose to have a gas or an
electric range. Might be a plus if ever selling your house.

So old electric range outlet should stay there and new outlet installed as
you requested.

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
I had an electrician here yesterday who was supposed to install a wall
outlet under my counter, due to switching from electric stove to gas
stove, which needs an outlet for the electronic ignition. He did not do
that, he unhooked my old electric stove and said when the new gas stove
is installed, they can just hard wire into the wires he capped. My
question is, is that legal? Will it void my warranty, and would an
installer even do it? I'm in CA. TIA

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 10 May 2006 10:02:48 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

I would be ticked off!

*You* asked him to install an outlet and he did not do this. If he works for
a large company, call and tell them what he did. Ask that they send someone
else out.

BTW, an electric range uses a big 240 volt outlet. A gas range would use a
regular 120 volt outlet. It would be best to have both outlets there for
use. Then you or future owners of your house can choose to have a gas or an
electric range. Might be a plus if ever selling your house.

It's a non-issue. You just cap off one of the two hots
in the box, (or re-designate it as the nuetral, if there isn't one)
swap the 2-pole breaker in the panel for a 1-pole one, at whatever
amperage the gas stove wants, and cap off the SAME hot at that end,
and wire the new stove into the existing box.

If you go back to an electric range, you just
un-cap the extra hot, re-attach the 240V outlet box,
and swap the breaker back.

Now if he charged you for running a new circut and
didn't, then I'd be annoyed, but the chances are he
decided that a whole new circut would be silly,
and thinks he explained that to you, and you okayed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Cheri wrote:
I had an electrician here yesterday who was supposed to install a wall
outlet under my counter, due to switching from electric stove to gas
stove, which needs an outlet for the electronic ignition. He did not do
that, he unhooked my old electric stove and said when the new gas stove
is installed, they can just hard wire into the wires he capped. My
question is, is that legal? Will it void my warranty, and would an
installer even do it? I'm in CA. TIA

--
Cheri

WTF? Hell naw! He is supposed to be an electrician?

I would be PTFO. I take it your stove was hardwired into a 220v line.
Either way he should be installing a 120v outlet for your new stove.

How the hell can an electrician suggest the stove delivery or gas
company folks install a 120v outlet???

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...
Cheri wrote:

I had an electrician here yesterday who was supposed to install a

wall
outlet under my counter, due to switching from electric stove to gas
stove, which needs an outlet for the electronic ignition. He did not

do
that, he unhooked my old electric stove and said when the new gas

stove
is installed, they can just hard wire into the wires he capped. My
question is, is that legal? Will it void my warranty, and would an
installer even do it? I'm in CA. TIA

--
Cheri

Not legal. The job was beyond his abilities so he
gave you a line...

Doing it right may be involved (read: expensive).

Jim

Damn, he charged me $200.00 to install a range hood then, because the
$200.00 was supposed to include both. Thanks.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

dnoyeB wrote in message
.. .

How the hell can an electrician suggest the stove delivery or gas
company folks install a 120v outlet???

--
Thank you,

He said the installer should hard wire it in, but the installer I talked
to, said he didn't want to do that. Anyway, I called another
electrician, and told him I want an outlet, so he's coming today.
Thanks to all who answered.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The new electrician can just tap the feed for the hood to use for the range
ignition outlet, it may be easier that converting the 50 amp electric range
feed

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..

dnoyeB wrote in message
.. .

How the hell can an electrician suggest the stove delivery or gas
company folks install a 120v outlet???

--
Thank you,

He said the installer should hard wire it in, but the installer I talked
to, said he didn't want to do that. Anyway, I called another
electrician, and told him I want an outlet, so he's coming today.
Thanks to all who answered.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

RBM wrote:

The new electrician can just tap the feed for the hood to use for the range
ignition outlet, it may be easier that converting the 50 amp electric range
feed

And...hopefully...it will have a proper equip
grounding conductor :-)
Jim

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..

dnoyeB wrote in message
.. .

How the hell can an electrician suggest the stove delivery or gas
company folks install a 120v outlet???

--
Thank you,

He said the installer should hard wire it in, but the installer I talked
to, said he didn't want to do that. Anyway, I called another
electrician, and told him I want an outlet, so he's coming today.
Thanks to all who answered.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

RBM wrote in message ...
The new electrician can just tap the feed for the hood to use for the

range
ignition outlet, it may be easier that converting the 50 amp electric

range
feed

I don't know what he did, but I think he converted it. I now have a
brand new outlet, and he replaced something in the circuit box, so I'm a
go. The new electrician did tell me that I definitely wouldn't want it
hard wired, even if the installer would do it, because if you need to
take the stove out, you have the same headache all over again. Lesson
learned.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Adams

I had an electrician here yesterday who was supposed to install a wall
outlet under my counter, due to switching from electric stove to gas
stove, which needs an outlet for the electronic ignition. He did not do
that, he unhooked my old electric stove and said when the new gas stove
is installed, they can just hard wire into the wires he capped. My
question is, is that legal? Will it void my warranty, and would an
installer even do it? I'm in CA. TIA

The legality is an excellent question as it relates to code. Just
before Hurricane Hugo hit the Carolinas, I had a new roof put on my
house. The roofer told me he could not wire the roof fans because
he was not an electrician. So I did it myself. I seriously doubt
that the gas stove delivery guys are electricians!

So this Mickey Mouse electrician did not do what he was paid to do.
It's most likely not code - call your local electrical inspector
and ask. Then call the electrician back and tell him he needs to
finish the job.

Dick