Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat in Atlanta

Default Squeaking Doors

I have an old house and several of the interior doors squeak quite loudly.
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
I have an old house and several of the interior doors squeak quite loudly.
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks a lot.

The hinges need to be lubricated. Trying to spray a lubricant into the
hinges without at least raising the pins part of the way is usually not a
good idea. First of all, the lubricant won't penetrate into the hinges very
well. And, you'll end up with residue on the door jam. Pop the pins at least
halfway up, hold a paper towel behind them to catch overspray, and lube with
something like white lithium spray, available at auto supply stores. Push
the pins down again, then wipe up any spray residue before dust sticks to it
and looks disgusting.

Hinge pins can be hard to remove, either because of the weight of the door,
or friction from lack of lubrication. Try lifting the knob side of the door
slightly while pulling the pin up with the other. If that doesn't work,
cover the top of the pin with a rag, grab the pin's top with pliers, and tap
the pliers upward gently with a hammer. Unless you have someone helping you,
or you know how to do this alone, do NOT pop out the pins completely. It's
not necessary in order to just lubricate them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

I find that WD40 is not that great for lubricating moving parts. It
will stop the squeak in the short term but it will come back fairly
quickly, it tends to get gummy. Lithium spray is probably the best
choice and can be found at any auto parts store.

That said WD40 is very handy, works great for removing stickers (love
my kids) or freeing stuck parts. One of the mechanics I used to work
with would spray a little under the seats of cars he worked on because
he loved the 'sweet smell' and thought the customers would agree.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I find that WD40 is not that great for lubricating moving parts.
It
will stop the squeak in the short term but it will come back
fairly
quickly, it tends to get gummy.

BS; it won't get "gummy": WD-40 will evaporate and be gone in a
couple of weeks. It will however in the meantime do a decent job
of stopping the squeaks for a lot longer by letting the
rust/residues move around and smooth off the tight spots.

Household or sewing machine oils seem to work best for hings IME.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I find that WD40 is not that great for lubricating moving parts. It
will stop the squeak in the short term but it will come back fairly
quickly, it tends to get gummy.

WD40 is NOT a lubricant. It was never intended to be used as a lubricant.

What is wrong with graphite, or oil?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Baron

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
I have an old house and several of the interior doors squeak quite loudly.
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks a lot.

After making sure that all the screws are tight, lubricate the hinges
with molybdenum or lithium antisieze compound. You can find it in any
autoparts store. It is most commonly used on lug nuts so they can be
tightened without them seizing up so they can still be removed.

I used this on all the door hinges in my home years ago an have never had a
problem with squeaky hinges since that time.

Good Luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I've also had good results with lithium. Or, with silicone.

Please don't use the $1.77silicone from Walmart. It's all solvent, and
no lube. I sprayed a bicycle chain several years ago, for some friends
from out of state. Used the cheap Walmart silicone, cause it's clear
and wouldn't mess up the boys' pants legs. Gave the boy a bicycle.
They got home, and the chain set up. I still feel bad. Since then, I
got the $4.00 silicone from the auto parts store. And I would use
white lithium on bike chain in the future. It was a painful mistake.

As others say. WD doesn't last very long. However, it does remove
stickers from windows. Like my friend's mini van with the sticker
right in the center of the drivers window.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I find that WD40 is not that great for lubricating moving parts. It
will stop the squeak in the short term but it will come back fairly
quickly, it tends to get gummy. Lithium spray is probably the best
choice and can be found at any auto parts store.

That said WD40 is very handy, works great for removing stickers (love
my kids) or freeing stuck parts. One of the mechanics I used to work
with would spray a little under the seats of cars he worked on because
he loved the 'sweet smell' and thought the customers would agree.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Oh, forgot. Open the door and spray it from the inside of the hinge.
So it's not as obvious from the side you can seee.

White lithium grease in a spray can is wonderful. Open and close the
door several times, and spray it a second time to be sure you got it.
Open and close some more times.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
I have an old house and several of the interior doors squeak quite
loudly.
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

If you tap the top of the hinges with a hammer, most doors will stop
squeaking. You'll see a small pile of dust/dirt under the hinges on
the floor, but you can make cleanup easier by placing down newspaper
first.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Thoms

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

I find that WD40 is not that great for lubricating moving parts.
It
will stop the squeak in the short term but it will come back
fairly
quickly, it tends to get gummy.

You know it only takes two tools to get the job done:

If it's supposed to move and it's stuck - use WD-40
If it's moving and it's not supposed to - use duct tape

Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Home Service Professionals
Homeowners, Find a Top Service Pro -- http://www.TopServicePros.com
Service Pros, Get Listed on the Web - http://www.TopServicePros.com

trimming masonite doors questions bent Woodworking 24 July 12th 16 11:44 PM
Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM