Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop

Default Finding a breaker

I tried to post this to earlier but it hasn't shown up yet so I thought I
made an error so I'm trying again-sorry for a 2nd post if the first shows
up after all.

I need to find the circuit breaker for two outlets (2 breakers if the two
outlets are on different ones). I know where the box is ( I think) but not
which breaker is it.

What are the risks if I short out the outlet to find the breaker?
Reasonable risks, not "blowing up the city" risks.

What would be the best way to do this? I'm not going to hold a paperclip
and stick it in both slots. I was thinking of a plug and cord with the two
wires connected together and taped, but is there a better way?

--

charles
Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Charles Bishop writes:

What are the risks if I short out the outlet to find the breaker?

Don't. You risk worldwide, permanently archived ridicule from Usenet.

Whyn't you just use the flip-until-wife-yells method?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Charles Bishop writes:

What are the risks if I short out the outlet to find the breaker?

Don't. You risk worldwide, permanently archived ridicule from Usenet.

Whyn't you just use the flip-until-wife-yells method?

Guess you missed the part where he said he didn't want to do that because of
other equipment he doesn't want to shut down...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tvfarmer

As with just about every one else here shorting is always a bad idea.
just go to your local home center and buy a circut breaker finder use
it and return it when your done i think they are around $30

(see
link)http://www.hitechhub.com/index.asp?P...&ProdID=4&HS=1
here is one example.

Breakers can be hard to find and expensive Depending on your pannel so
dont take a chance

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Dura

On 9 May 2006 08:20:57 -0700, "Tvfarmer" wrote Re
Finding a breaker:

As with just about every one else here shorting is always a bad idea.
just go to your local home center and buy a circut breaker finder use
it and return it when your done i think they are around $30

(see
link)http://www.hitechhub.com/index.asp?P...&ProdID=4&HS=1
here is one example.

Here's another example

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...ts.jsp&y=0&x=0
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

How do these things work?

Do you plug one unit (A) into an outlet and take the other (B) to the
panel to see which breaker is powering A?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green

A transmitter module plugs into an outlet and the second "sniffer" module
sounds a tone when you pass it over the correct breaker at the panel. They
are useful but not perfect. I've gotten strong signals from adjacent
breakers.

--
Bobby G.

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
How do these things work?

Do you plug one unit (A) into an outlet and take the other (B) to the
panel to see which breaker is powering A?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article om, "Tvfarmer" wrote:
As with just about every one else here shorting is always a bad idea.
just go to your local home center and buy a circut breaker finder use
it and return it when your done i think they are around $30

It's jerks like you that drive up prices for the rest of us. Didn't Mommy ever
teach you that it's wrong to steal?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tvfarmer

Doug
I knew someone would have an issue with it.
And yes it is a "BAD Practice, buy use return"
- $30 is a cheap price to pay and they are good to have around - I am a
tool junkie.
If this could keep the situation safe-then it is a lesser of two evils
for me.

Jeff Aikens