Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Default What price can I expect for....

What price range can I expect for having someone come in and sheetrock,
including finish and sanding just the walls in a room it will take exactly
10 full sheets and 1 sheet cut in half to do the job. Then taped /mudded and
sanded. thats all. I already have the materials and just want a ball park
estimate for the labor.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Shopdog wrote:
What price range can I expect for having someone come in and sheetrock,
including finish and sanding just the walls in a room it will take exactly
10 full sheets and 1 sheet cut in half to do the job. Then taped /mudded and
sanded. thats all. I already have the materials and just want a ball park
estimate for the labor.

Labor prices vary. They vary from town to town, and from state to
state. The easiest way to get a real number is to pick up the phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Andy writes:

You better get a few estimates from local people. It sounds like a
one day job, with another half-day after each mudding --- maybe
2-3 mandays total..... My guess is something under $1000 ---
Remember, it ain't hard work, but the guy has to make several
trips out.
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Shopdog" wrote in message
What price range can I expect for having someone come in and sheetrock,
including finish and sanding just the walls in a room it will take exactly
10 full sheets and 1 sheet cut in half to do the job. Then taped /mudded

and
sanded. thats all. I already have the materials and just want a ball park
estimate for the labor.

Searcher

Small jobs are the hardest to get someone to do. It will cost what it does.

Have you forgotten about texture?

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Andy wrote:
Andy writes:

You better get a few estimates from local people. It sounds like a
one day job, with another half-day after each mudding --- maybe
2-3 mandays total..... My guess is something under $1000 ---
Remember, it ain't hard work, but the guy has to make several
trips out.

Not if you pick them up.

Early at the Home Depot parking lot.

Plan on two men, 10 hours each, $10/hr, plus $15.00 for hamburger lunches
and cold drinks. You may come out for less, but it shouldn't be more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Texture? I don't think so, its just going to be painted. Its only a playroom
and I think my son is going to do the art work himself. He's 4 so this
should be interesting, but he's an "OLD" 4 so I'm thinking hand prints and
splotches. I was planning to do the work myself but things are getting hetic
around here. This is our first house and our first "real" project. I know I
can hang the rock myself but mudding/taping, I never seem to be able to get
a decent looking seam.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

IF you could just pay for the same labor rate as the people doing the
work make, a few hundred bucks. To get a drywall contractor to do it,
a thousand - the extra is overhead and just coming out to do such a
dinky job.

I'm in the same boat.

If you and your friends can cut and screw the drywall in place then you
just need a couple half-days from a drywall finisher, so might be less,
you can find someone to do that on the side for cash off the books
probably.

Note that in big suburban developments, where these contractors want to
work, there's three trades. One hangs, one tapes, one finishes.
Finish is the skill hardest for the DIY person, it's murder to get it
to look right if you don't have the knack for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

I know it is not exactly in style anymore, but have you considered
paneling? 11 sheets at $15/sheet is only $165, plus a few bucks for some
trim. Plus, you can give taping and floating a try first, then if you do
not like the results, then go with paneling. True, taping and floating
is somewhat of an art, but it is not brain surgery. 11 years ago, we had
to relocate a closet door at my parents house (from the bedroom to the
hallway when I installed central air). I framed in the opening in the
b/r and sheetrocked it, and my then 65 year old mother finished it out.
It looks at least as good as any of the other drywall in the house. Hang
the drywall, then take any leftover pieces and practice on them. Good
luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Shopdog" wrote in message
What price range can I expect for having someone come in and sheetrock,
including finish and sanding just the walls in a room it will take exactly
10 full sheets and 1 sheet cut in half to do the job. Then taped /mudded
and sanded. thats all. I already have the materials and just want a ball
park estimate for the labor.

Searcher

Factor in the cost of staying home to watch the job and protect your stuff
from someone willing to do it for the low price you want to pay and you will
realize that you need to DIY.

The biggest cause of a bad finish job is getting in too big of a hurry and
putting on too much mud at one time. If you approach the finishing from the
perspective that I am not going to sand anything, do it in multiple coats
you will like the results a lot better. You will still sand a little.

If you want some tips on DIY, I bet you can get a lot of help here. If you
still want to pay someone, the phone is your friend.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
GeorgeW6

I had a huge replumbing job done and the guy left about a dozen holes
in the walls all over the house. I thought the plumbing contract
covered that (well, I didn't think anything about it until he said he
was finished.) Luckily, I already knew a moon lighter who did good work
for me before. He took care of all the drywall supplies, paints, and
got the job done in pretty short order, although only working on Sunday
and evenings. I trusted him, since he is the friend of a close
neighbor, so I would sometimes leave the key under the mat and he would
let himself in when I was not around. (I have to think up something new
and get him back before he forgets me. Good handymen are hard to find).

I guess because there is so much construction in Northern Virginia its
possible to find people who do dry walling on the side for cash. On
that job and another I did not worry about contracts, licenses, and
insurance.

Now I am getting a tree removed, but this is done by guy is in the
business and is licensed and protected by a $1 million insurance
policy.He was doing work for another close neighbor and says he did
work for others. That neighbor has to negotiate professionally for
contractors so I trust his judgement. For $800, the decision to go
with a small business, not one of the big tree companies seems best.

Of course, it still hurts MY budget.

George