Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Preble

Default Door frame seems secured by trim

I'm removing the trim from a bathroom door frame, and it looks like the
trim is keeping it together. The frame isn't directly secured into any
wood on its own other than the frame. Is this normal? It doesn't seem
right.

If this is horrifying, can I just nail in some boards to the nearby
wooden beams (say, 1/2" away) when I reinstall the frame and trim?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Preble

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
How is the trim is secured then?
Frame should be secured into studs and header with shims. Trim is just
cosmetic. It does not support the door frame.

I have the trim off on one side. The trim was nailed to the frame and
the studs. There doesn't seem to be anything securing the frame to the
studs. There's a considerable gap on both sides.

When I take off the trim on the other side, I should know for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

the considerable gap is normal. yes, fill the gap with shims in three
places on both sides of the doors, and nail through the frame
(actually, jamb is the proper term) into the studs. someone hung your
door using the Q and D method.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Adam Preble wrote:
I'm removing the trim from a bathroom door frame, and it looks like the
trim is keeping it together. The frame isn't directly secured into any
wood on its own other than the frame. Is this normal? It doesn't seem
right.

If this is horrifying, can I just nail in some boards to the nearby
wooden beams (say, 1/2" away) when I reinstall the frame and trim?

Some prehung doors come with the casing already attached on one side.
I think the guy that slapped in your door decided that since he could
nail through the casing there was no need to nail the frame. It's held
this long, but it's a shaky installation. use shims on both sides
before you reinstall the casing. It's best to use tapered shims, cedar
shingles for example, so you can fine tune the shim thickness. You
want a tight fit but not too tight. If you put them in too tight the
door will bind.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Alan

Sounds like you have a split jamb casing applied door. Casings are applied
to both sides at the factory, jamb splits in half to accommodate slightly
different jamb width frames. After splitting the jamb and trimming to length
the door is installed and secured with the trim. Before the other side is
slide into place the half jamb should be shimmed at the hinges and lockset
area as a minimum. Lot's of finish guys skip this part.