Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Tree grafting

Ive heard of grafing a branch to a tree, can this be done with
different species, such as grafting fruit to a Oak tree or a Willow to
Oak. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the tree and inserting an
equal size branch of another species. I have alot of old Oaks without
any low branches which I would like.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 May 2006 12:25:11 -0500, (m Ransley)
wrote:

Ive heard of grafing a branch to a tree, can this be done with
different species, such as grafting fruit to a Oak tree or a Willow to
Oak. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the tree and inserting an
equal size branch of another species. I have alot of old Oaks without
any low branches which I would like.

I found this on wikipedia, "Grafting can only be done between
reasonably closely related plants."

http://www.urlbee.com?2806

tom

Mainly I have only seen this done with fruit trees. You can try, worse that
can happen is the graft dies. Why don't you try grafting branches from the
top of the tree to a lower spot. Not sure if you can graft directly onto a
big trunk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

Excellent advice. My friends and I experimented a lot
with grafting when we were rather young. Seeing our
failures, my father offered advice such as yours:

- Go to the library and read about the subject. A lot.

- Start with grafts which have the highest probability
of success. Grafts from the same tree are obvious.

- Once you get easy grafts to work, gradually work
towards more and more difficult grafts.

We eventually got the easy grafts to work and then some
of the more difficult. We never managed to graft fruit to
non-fruit. We experimented with several of the common
grafting techniques and eventually had some success with
all of them.

Gideon

Mainly I have only seen this done with fruit trees. You can try, worse that
can happen is the graft dies. Why don't you try grafting branches from the
top of the tree to a lower spot. Not sure if you can graft directly onto a
big trunk.

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
Black Walnut Question tdstr Woodworking 19 April 12th 06 08:42 PM
repairing a tree with hole in it Danny Home Repair 8 October 10th 04 02:01 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM