Posted to alt.home.repair
ccsgraham

Default Toro rear drive lawn mower

When I tried to replace the drive belt on my Toro mower I found that the
drive gear pulley was extremely loose. Does anyone know how to replace
the drive gear unit? I assume it is the gear because when I activate it,
there is a lot of noise (growling. When I lift the rear end of the mower
off the ground the wheels spin quietly.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris

ccsgraham wrote:
When I tried to replace the drive belt on my Toro mower I found that the
drive gear pulley was extremely loose. Does anyone know how to replace
the drive gear unit? I assume it is the gear because when I activate it,
there is a lot of noise (growling. When I lift the rear end of the mower
off the ground the wheels spin quietly.

I apologize in advance for not answering your question. However, how
did you go about replacing the drive belt on your Toro? I have a
personal pace (20017) rear wheel drive mower. I am trying to follow
the Interactive Manual on Toro's website. I'm having difficulty
threading the drive belt through the "fingers". Please describe in
detail how you performed that particular task. I'd appreciate it.
Thanks...

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris

Hello,

I was able to solve my problem by downloading a pdf of the
"Toro/Lawn-Boy Walk Behind Power Mower Drive Systems Manual" from
Toro's website (www.toro.com.) Unfortunately, the Interactive Manual
was incorrect for replacing the v-belt on my mower. Anyway, the
Service Manual is quite detailed and it states that it covers models
from 1990 to 2002 (my mower is a 2005 and the manual was good.) It
describes how to disassemble and reassemble all the different
transmissions. Perhaps you may just need to add some #2 lithium based
grease to quiet things down. I wish you luck.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
ccsgraham

Chris, I also had a very difficult time replacing the belt. I had to put a
long, thin screwdriver between the fingers and the pulley and pry the
finger outboard then force the belt into position.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mac Cool

ccsgraham:

Chris, I also had a very difficult time replacing the belt. I had to
put a long, thin screwdriver between the fingers and the pulley and
pry the finger outboard then force the belt into position.

Those fingers have nuts on top that if loosened will easily move out of
the way. Visit the Toro website and you can download manuals that will
tell you step by step how to change the belt. I changed one today and it
took about 20 minutes.

--
Mac Cool

Lawn mower problem - possibly electrical nsaikia Home Repair 14 March 21st 06 03:38 AM
Initially Lawn Mower Won't Start - After it starts it runs perfect. ballpark Home Repair 13 February 4th 06 06:09 PM
lawn mower Charlie Brown Home Repair 3 October 25th 05 02:41 AM
Sharpening a reel lawn mower? toller Home Repair 5 May 5th 05 12:02 PM
lawn mower stalls unless I tip it! meirman Home Repair 4 November 15th 04 09:13 PM