Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fastener ? -- Red Head Powder? Dayton "Gun"

Have a father-in-law who is a retired civil engineer. His carpentry
skills are excellent and his father used to build houses for a living.

He called yesterday and asked my wife to help him out. Apparently he
was digging around in his shop and found an old Dayton "gun."

So, apparently, he has used this .22-caliber "gun" to fire nails into
concrete, etc. He hasn't used this thing probably for 20 years, but is
insisting he needs more fasteners for it, just in case....yeah, in case
of what?

He has an old box of fasteners, which is apparently empty. He read the
details to my wife over the phone. Apparently 1/4" .22-caliber, made by
Red Head Powder is the gist of the information.

I did a quick websearch and found that Ramset has apparently absorbed
Red Head, but I, Honestly am not much of a carpenter and have never
used anything remotely approaching this. And I can't find anything
approaching a 1/4" fastener on their pages.....

I'll probably try calling a few tool specialty places tommorrow, but as
both of us live way out in the boonies, I'm sure how much success we'll
have. Anyone have any advice on what/where/how I find a box of
whatever it is he needs to shut him (and my wife) up on the matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Most of the 22 varity were called low velocity when they were sold. Meaning
the power moves a rod that actually hits the "pin". There were some high
velocity guns made in the .22 caliber.
Pins and loads can be acquired in a lot of places. like any ammo the stuff
is not good forever.
I have some 3-5 year old yellow loads that I used recently. 30% of the box
were duds.
If you unsure of the tool best get it checked out BEFORE you use it. If it
is a "high velocity" weapon cut it up into pieces and sell it for scrap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"SQLit" wrote in message

Most of the 22 varity were called low velocity when they were sold.

Meaning
the power moves a rod that actually hits the "pin". There were some high
velocity guns made in the .22 caliber.
Pins and loads can be acquired in a lot of places. like any ammo the stuff
is not good forever.
I have some 3-5 year old yellow loads that I used recently. 30% of the

box
were duds.

I can't say how long the stud gun loads last, but regular gun ammo is good
almost forever if stored in a place that does not get too hot. I have some
reloads I made myself that are over 30 years old and some comercial shotgun
shells that are 40 years old and it is just as good today as it was when
first made. Even the military stuff left from WW2 is still good.
The stud gun loads may not last because they seem to be open and just
crimped in the end instead of being almost air tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"SQLit" wrote in message

[...]

I agree.

I don't know how well the the fastener guns loads
are sealed, probably like blanks, but I assume
that the loads are not sealed well. And if they
don't last long then they are being contaminated
most likely with oil, probably by people that
don't know oil will kill them.

But ammo is sealed well, some water proofed, and
as long as it isn't destroyed by water or oil, it
last practically forever.

Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
BP Round Ram J Head Adapter? dka Metalworking 1 March 17th 04 04:40 AM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM