Posted to alt.home.repair
plug

Default concrete with fiber

going to have a new driveway poured. One of the contractors [with the best
price] said we didn't need rebar because the concrete he used has the fiber
in it. Should I insist on rebar or does the fiber negate the need for
rebar?
TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:28:54 -0400, "plug" wrote:

going to have a new driveway poured. One of the contractors [with the best
price] said we didn't need rebar because the concrete he used has the fiber
in it. Should I insist on rebar or does the fiber negate the need for
rebar?

I would suggest adding rebar to it... Fiber's great for many things,
but concrete with steel is a well proven comodity... Rebar is not that
expensive when you're buying it in the 20 ft sections... Figure out
how many you are going to need and get a price on the steel from
either a steel supply house (cheaper) or Home Depot (not as cheap, but
not that bad of a price either)... Ask the contractor how much he
would add to the price for the rebar... If the amount that he added is
not reasonable, just have him build the forms one day and pour the
concrete a few days later... Laying rebar is easy, you can do it
yourself without any help...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

plug wrote:
going to have a new driveway poured. One of the contractors [with
the best price] said we didn't need rebar because the concrete he
used has the fiber in it. Should I insist on rebar or does the fiber
negate the need for rebar?
TIA

I would also suggest the steel. Fiber will make the concrete stronger
and in some cases can substitute for steel, but I would still want the
steel. You also may want to check your local codes and they may require
rebar.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would also get the rebar.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©®

Can one *add* this fibre to ready-mix in bags?
I think Modern Marvels should this fibred-up 'crete--*much* greater bending
w/o cracking.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
plug wrote:
going to have a new driveway poured. One of the contractors [with
the best price] said we didn't need rebar because the concrete he
used has the fiber in it. Should I insist on rebar or does the fiber
negate the need for rebar?
TIA

I would also suggest the steel. Fiber will make the concrete stronger
and in some cases can substitute for steel, but I would still want the
steel. You also may want to check your local codes and they may require
rebar.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

yes, i have added fibers to small batches. just throw it in the mixer.
not gonna find it at HD. try a concrete supplier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
nonews

I had a section of a driveway replaced 16 years ago and still not a sign of
any cracks. It had fiber in it and no rebar. This is in Memphis. Perhaps it
is different in a colder climate.
Several years ago one of the do-it-yourself magazines recommended using both
rebar and fiber. As I recall they were saying the fibers prevented small
cracks which could develop into large cracks and the rebar was for support
against major cracks from heavy loads.

"plug" wrote in message
going to have a new driveway poured. One of the contractors [with the best
price] said we didn't need rebar because the concrete he used has the fiber
in it. Should I insist on rebar or does the fiber negate the need for
rebar?
TIA

Concrete Bonding Agent & people who do not read directions... a Home Repair 2 October 5th 05 03:50 PM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM